Interval Notation of Inequality: -9<1/x<=1

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the interval notation of the inequality -9<1/x<=1. The person initially suggests that the interval is (-9,-1] U (0,1], but a more accurate approach is to rewrite the inequality as a system and invert both sides to get the solution of (-∞,-1/9) U [1,∞). The conversation also provides guidance on how to represent math symbols using LaTeX on the forum.
Colin2
I need help determining the interval notation of the inequality below:

-9<1/x<=1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we are told that:

\(\displaystyle a<b\)

then doesn't this imply:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{a}>\frac{1}{b}\)?

So would I be right If I concluded that the interval is?:

(-9,-1] U (0,1]

Since 0 can't be included as we are working with 1/x?

Colin said:
So would I be right If I concluded that the interval is?:

(-9,-1] U (0,1]

Since 0 can't be included as we are working with 1/x?

No, what I would do is take the original inequality:

\(\displaystyle -9<\frac{1}{x}\le1\)

And break it up into the system:

\(\displaystyle -9<\frac{1}{x}\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}\le1\tag{2}\)

Now, can you rewrite this system by inverting both sides of both inequalities?

So...

-1/9<x & x<=1?

Colin said:
So...

-1/9<x & x<=1?

No, look at my first reply...when we invert both sides of an inequality, we must change its direction, and so we would get:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{9}>x\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle x\ge1\tag{2}\)

Now, how would you write the solution in interval notation?

Ohhh yeah I forgot about that, also I'm new here so I'm not familiar with the way people express maths symbols and stuff using code so I'm just going to write it an easier way.

How about:

(infinity,-1/9) U [1,infinity)?

Colin said:
Ohhh yeah I forgot about that, also I'm new here so I'm not familiar with the way people express maths symbols and stuff using code so I'm just going to write it an easier way.

How about:

(infinity,-1/9) U [1,infinity)?

Yes...I think you simply forgot to put the negative sign before $\infty$ on the left...

\(\displaystyle \left(-\infty,-\frac{1}{9}\right)\,\cup\,\left[1,\infty\right)\)

Yeah because I wrote it in text...thanks for the help Mark!

Also could you point me in the direction of how to represent maths symbols on this forum?

Colin said:
Yeah because I wrote it in text...thanks for the help Mark!

Also could you point me in the direction of how to represent maths symbols on this forum?

When you are composing a post, to include $\LaTeX$, one of the easiest ways is to first click the $\Sigma$ button in the editor toolbar directly above the text area. Clicking this button will generate the [MATH][/MATH] tags, and your cursor will be located between the tags. You may then begin entering the code.

If you look to the right of the editor you will see our "Quick $\LaTeX$" element which you can use to generate many commonly used symbols and commands. We have these divided into categories which you can access using the drop-down menu at the top.

If you look below the editor, you will see our $\LaTeX$ Live Preview where you can test out your $\LaTeX$ quickly to make certain you have it like you want, and then you can copy what's there to the editor. The Quick $\LaTeX$ element works there as well. :D

Thank you very much again for the help!

Related to Interval Notation of Inequality: -9<1/x<=1

What is interval notation of inequality?

Interval notation of inequality is a way of representing a range of numbers using a combination of brackets and parentheses. It is commonly used in mathematics to describe the values that a variable can take within a given interval.

What does -9<1/x<=1 mean in interval notation?

In this notation, the inequality means that the variable x can take on any value between -9 and 1, but not including -9, and also not including 1.

How is interval notation read?

Interval notation is read from left to right. The first number represents the lower bound and the second number represents the upper bound. Parentheses are used for values that are not included in the interval, while brackets are used for values that are included.

Can interval notation be used for both open and closed intervals?

Yes, interval notation can be used for both open and closed intervals. An open interval uses parentheses to indicate that the endpoints are not included, while a closed interval uses brackets to indicate that the endpoints are included.

Can interval notation be used for multiple inequalities?

Yes, interval notation can be used for multiple inequalities. For example, if the inequality is -9<x<1, the interval notation would be (-9, 1). This means that the variable x can take on any value between -9 and 1, but not including -9 or 1.