Interview Questions That Will Make You Cringe

• Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the interviewer is looking for someone who is motivated and driven, and who is not afraid to take risks.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A selection published in the UK Financial Times recruitment supplement, 12 April 2011:

1 Do you sparkle?

2 (Asked by "mature" maile interviewer) So, Miss Williams, tell me what excites you?

3. We have a lot of young girls on the staff. Will this be a problem for you?

4. What's your Facebook status?

5. Your'e not a vegetarian or anything, are you?

6. Where would you hide an elephant?

7. Are you decisive?

8. I see you ride a motorcycle. That's unusual for a woman. Are you going to grow out of it?

9. Do you have any children? Follow-up question: Does your husband have any children?

10 What would you like inscribed on your gravestone?

Feel free to add answers (or more questions...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I was called in for an interview with a department head that I had not sent a resume to. (I found out later that she had a friend in HR and they had forwarded my resume to her instead of the department it was intended for.) I went anyway to see what she had to offer. We were sitting at a conference room table and she throws a pencil in front of me and tells me to "sell it to her". :uhh:

I turned her job offer down and got my resume to the right person.

As I have no interest in working for any company that presents such moronic scenarios, I would simply reply as follows:

“The pencil you have just placed in my possession may be used as a weapon. If you purchase the pencil from me, I guarantee that I will surrender the pencil to you peacefully and then YOU will have the weapon. Now; are you inclined to purchase the pencil from me, or would you prefer to see where I jam it next?”

When I was interviewing for college, I was asked "If you were an inanimate object, what would you be?"

AlephZero said:
A selection published in the UK Financial Times recruitment supplement, 12 April 2011:

1 Do you sparkle?

2 (Asked by "mature" maile interviewer) So, Miss Williams, tell me what excites you?

3. We have a lot of young girls on the staff. Will this be a problem for you?

4. What's your Facebook status?

5. Your'e not a vegetarian or anything, are you?

6. Where would you hide an elephant?

7. Are you decisive?

8. I see you ride a motorcycle. That's unusual for a woman. Are you going to grow out of it?

9. Do you have any children? Follow-up question: Does your husband have any children?

10 What would you like inscribed on your gravestone?

Feel free to add answers (or more questions...)

Sorry, interview threads are no longer allowed on the PF. Thread closed.

Oh wait...:blushing:

I was informed in one of my very first 'software developer' interview that I was "obviously" not serious because of my tie. (It was narrow and magenta). People in this line of business take themselves more seriously than that.

I kept my tongue but spent the rest of the interview assuring him that he'd convinced me this was not the place I wanted to work, as there were places out there that welcome individuality and have some corporate culture.

A mere half hour of biting my tongue led to a life lesson wherein I learned that choosing where I don't want to work is as important as choosing where I do want to work.

Evo said:
We were sitting at a conference room table and she throws a pencil in front of me and tells me to "sell it to her". :uhh:

Hmm... we use that one as a put-down for job applicants with engineering degrees who say they want to move into sales and marketing.

Before anti-smoking legislation came in, sometimes we asked them to sell us the dregs of a cup of vending-machine coffee, with a couple of cigarette butts floating in it. Interviewers have their seccret siignals for "OK, we agree this one's a reject, so let's have some fun making hiim/her earn his/her travel expenses before we let him/her out of jail..."

1. What is the purpose of "Interview questions from hell"?

The purpose of "Interview questions from hell" is to challenge candidates and assess their critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and ability to handle difficult situations under pressure.

2. Can you give an example of an "Interview question from hell"?

An example of an "Interview question from hell" could be: "If you were stranded on a deserted island with only a box of matches, a knife, and a rope, how would you survive?" This question tests a candidate's ability to think creatively and come up with a practical solution.

3. Are "Interview questions from hell" ethical?

Yes, as long as the questions are not discriminatory or intentionally offensive. These types of questions are meant to push candidates out of their comfort zone and see how they handle challenging situations, which can be a valuable assessment tool for employers.

4. How should I prepare for "Interview questions from hell"?

To prepare for "Interview questions from hell", practice thinking on your feet and responding to unexpected or unusual scenarios. You can also research common interview questions and come up with creative and unique responses to them.

5. Can "Interview questions from hell" be used in any type of job interview?

Yes, "Interview questions from hell" can be used in any type of job interview, but they are most commonly used in interviews for positions that require problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills, such as in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math.

Back