Solve Integral of dp^2 | Lower Boundary Ps, Upper P0

• Thread starter hermano
  • Start date
In summary: The boundary conditions are that the flow is steady in both directions. So if the input pressure is above the ouput pressure, the flow will be into the pipe from the high pressure and out of the pipe to the low pressure. If the input pressure is below the ouput pressure, the flow will be out of the pipe to the high pressure and into the pipe from the low pressure. So the boundary conditions say that the flow is always into or out of the pipe, depending on the pressure difference between the input and output pressures. So the boundary conditions are the ouput pressure.
hermano
intgral of dp^2??

Hi,

I have the following equation:

[itex]\dot{m} = c \frac{dp^{2}}{dx}[/itex]

Integration gives:

[itex]\dot{m} \int dx = c \int dp^{2}[/itex]

How can I solve [itex]\int dp^{2}[/itex]??

The lower boundary is Ps and the upper boundary is P0 for the integral!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi hermano! :smile:

do you mean dq/dx where q = p2 ?

just integrate over q from q = (ps)2 to q = (p0)2 :wink:

Hi tiny-tim ;-)

I want to integrate dp^2! So you take some parameter q and say that this parameter q is equal to p^2 and then solve the integral of dq instead of dp^2. This gives q again and thus p^2! Then fill in the upper and lower boundary for p: P0^2 - Ps^2

Am I right?

if I'm correctly understanding your original equation, yes :smile:

My original question is how to solve this equation:

[itex]\dot{m} \int dx = c \int dp^{2}[/itex]

My problem is solving the right hand side of the equation namely:

[itex]c \int dp^{2}[/itex]

Your answer is: replace [itex] p^{2}[/itex] by q and solve this 'normal' integral [itex]c \int dq[/itex]! This gives c q, then replace q by [itex] p^{2}[/itex] again so the solution is c [itex] p^{2}[/itex]. Then I only have to fill in the boundaries for p. Right?

I think so, yes. :smile:

dp²/dx is an infinitesimal quantity. On the left side of equation, you have a finite quantity. Something is wrong.

You either have (dp/dx)² or d²p/dx². In either case, review your equation. Where do you get it from, anyways?

Hi K^2,

This equation comes from Darcy's law namely [itex]\dot{m} = \frac{p Q}{R T}[/itex]

Fill Q (volumetric flow rate form Darcy's law) in in the above equation gives:

[itex]\dot{m} = c p \frac{dp}{dx}[/itex]

With [itex] c [/itex] all the constants in the equation.

[itex] p \frac{dp}{dx}[/itex] is equal to [itex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{dp^2}{dx}[/itex]

And thus finally I got [itex] \dot{m} = \frac{c}{2} \frac{dp^2}{dx}[/itex]

Solving this:

[itex]\dot{m} \int dx = \frac{c}{2} \int dp^{2} [/itex]

Therefore my question: How to solve [itex] \int dp^{2} [/itex] ??

ah, now i see where it comes from! :rolleyes:

yes, the whole point of changing pdp/dx to 1/2 d(p2)/dx

(and btw, it's better to write it that way, with brackets)

is because that is a perfect derivative, and you can immediately integrate it to pf2 - pi2. :smile:

Incidentally, the same trick enables us to go from F = ma (in mechanics) via a = vdv/dx to ∆(1/2 mv2) :wink:

Tiny-tim,

Do I make a fault against the mathematics by saying that [itex]\dot{m} = \frac{c}{2} \frac{dp^2}{dx}[/itex] can be solved through [itex]\dot{m} \int dx = \frac{c}{2} \int dp^{2}[/itex]??

Then still my question is: how to solve the right hand site of this equation namely the integral of [itex]\int dp^{2}[/itex] ??

Yeah, you shouldn't write it as dp²/dx, because that means (dp)²/dx, and that just isn't right. d(p²)/dx, on the other hand, does make sense, and d(p²) can be integrated over using variable substitution.

[tex]\int f(u)du = \int f(x)\frac{du}{dx}dx[/tex]

Which in this case, turns integral over d(p²) into integral over 2p dp.

hi hermano! :smile:

(btw, we say "a fault in the mathematics" … though you can say "a crime against mathematics"! :biggrin:)
hermano said:
Do I make a fault against the mathematics by saying that [itex]\dot{m} = \frac{c}{2} \frac{dp^2}{dx}[/itex] can be solved through [itex]\dot{m} \int dx = \frac{c}{2} \int dp^{2}[/itex]??

No, we often treat a derivative exactly like a fraction, and multiply both sides by dx (and then integrate) …

that's fine :smile:
Then still my question is: how to solve the right hand site of this equation namely the integral of [itex]\int dp^{2}[/itex] ??

∫ d(p2) = [p2] :wink:

Thanks, now it is clear for me!

Maybe you both can help me with another small issue I'm facing with this equation! For the integral of my pressure, I have to fill in the upper and lower boundary for p^2! However, I doubt of the input pressure is my upper or lower boundary, and also the same for the output pressure. What tells me which pressure (input - output) is the upper and lower boundary for my integral?

The equation gives the mass flow through a pipe (Poiseuille) from the high input pressure to the lower ouput pressure.

1. What is the purpose of solving for the integral of dp^2?

The integral of dp^2 is used in mathematical and scientific calculations, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It represents the area under a curve, which can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of a system.

2. How is the integral of dp^2 calculated?

To solve for the integral of dp^2, we use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower boundaries. In this case, the antiderivative of dp^2 is p^3/3, so the integral can be calculated as (p0^3)/3 - (ps^3)/3.

3. What do the upper and lower boundaries represent in this integral?

The upper boundary, p0, represents the final value of the variable p, while the lower boundary, ps, represents the initial value. These boundaries define the limits of the integral and determine the area that is being calculated.

4. Can the integral of dp^2 be solved for any type of function?

Yes, the integral of dp^2 can be solved for any continuous function that has a defined antiderivative. This includes polynomial, trigonometric, and exponential functions, among others.

5. How is the integral of dp^2 used in real-world applications?

The integral of dp^2 is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating work done by a variable force, determining the displacement of an object, and finding the average value of a function. It is also used in physics to calculate quantities like momentum and kinetic energy.