Intro EE - Voltage Divider Design circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and conditions to determine the values of R_1 and R_2 in a circuit representation. The node method and thevenin resistance formula are referenced, and it is determined that 50 < R_1 < 150. However, the conversation also mentions that there may be additional possible values for R_1.
krtica
The link is an image with the question and circuit representation:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mmwg8l.png

Here are the equations I used:

V_out/V_in = R_2/(R_1 + R_2) {using the node method}

R_thevenin (R_th) = R_2*R_1/(R_1+R_2)

And given the conditions =>

10 < R_th < 30

Manipulating this inequality I found that 50 < R_1 < 150, which left me with three possible values for R_1 (56, 68, 82).

Using the first equation, I put in the numbers, which gave me 0.2=R_2/(R_2+56) and solved for R_2 with every value I put in for R_1 (56, 68, 82).

R_2 values were 14, 17, and 20, respectively, which came to equate to 15, 18, and 22 when compared to the original set of resistors and the 10% condition.

I tried putting in the values of these resistors I used, because all gave me the right ratio of voltages, but they're incorrect.

Pardon how nuanced I may seem, it's been too long since I've done any physics..

Physics news on Phys.org
krtica said:
Here are the equations I used:

V_out/V_in = R_2/(R_1 + R_2) {using the node method}

R_thevenin (R_th) = R_2*R_1/(R_1+R_2)
I think you are on the right track.
And given the conditions =>

10 < R_th < 30
This should be, 10,000 ≤ R_th ≤ 30,000
Manipulating this inequality I found that 50 < R_1 < 150, which left me with three possible values for R_1 (56, 68, 82).
Aren't you missing some candidates here?
R₁ ∈ {56k,68k,82k,100k,120k,150k}

Wouldn't it just be the three since your given all the resistances available in the set E12?

120kΩ = 12 x 104

Right! Thanks.

1. What is a voltage divider circuit?

A voltage divider circuit is a simple circuit consisting of two or more resistors connected in series, with a voltage source applied to one end and a load connected to the other end. It is used to divide a larger voltage into smaller, more manageable voltages.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by using the principle of Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. By placing resistors in series, the total voltage is divided between them based on their respective resistance values.

3. What factors affect the output voltage of a voltage divider circuit?

The output voltage of a voltage divider circuit is affected by the values of the resistors used, the input voltage, and the load connected to the circuit. The output voltage can be calculated using the voltage divider formula: Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)).

4. How do you design a voltage divider circuit?

To design a voltage divider circuit, you first need to determine the desired output voltage and the input voltage. Then, using the voltage divider formula, you can calculate the values of the resistors needed to achieve the desired output voltage. It is important to choose resistors with appropriate values to ensure they can handle the power and current requirements of the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of voltage divider circuits?

Voltage divider circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, sensors, and amplifiers. They are also used in communication systems to adjust signal levels and in battery monitoring circuits to measure the remaining charge.