Introduction essay to Parabolic Motion

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework assignment that required a 700-1000 word introduction on parabolic trajectory. The individual was struggling to reach the word count and asked for suggestions on what else to include. A forum member suggested discussing the history of gravity, vectors, and different experimental setups to test the hypothesis. The individual was grateful for the help and hoped to be able to expand on these topics to meet the required word count.
MklStar
Hi, sorry in advance if this isn't the right section but I'm not too sure where else to post this

Homework Statement

The essay requires me to type up an introduction that has a word count of roughly 700-1000 words. I have chosen to do an experiment on parabolic trajectory and thus have to talk about this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment, I have a word count of almost 400 but only 2 paragraphs long. I have stated my aim and hypothesis within the first paragraph
whilst the second paragraph talks about the forces involved within the parabolic motion, I have said that there are 2 parts, a horizontal force with no gravity and a vertical force which is gravity, in addition to that, i stated the law of inertia and how it relates to this.

The problem right now for me is to figure out what to say to fill up the quota, I'm not too sure on what else that can be related to this topic.
help is very appreciated, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think this belongs in the "Introductory Physics" forum. I don't know what level of physics you're in, but I'm assuming it's a principles-type course (based on req'd number of words, subject matter, etc.).

I would start by giving a bit of the history of gravity (like Galileo's and Newton's experiments), talk about vectors and why you can split forces into horizontal and vertical components, what the correlation between gravity and parabolas is, and talk even about different experimental setups that allow you to test your hypothesis. Hope this helps. You should be able to ramble on about these topics for way more than 1000 words.

Related to Introduction essay to Parabolic Motion

1. What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air at an angle. The shape of this path is called a parabola, and it is a result of the combination of the object's initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is parabolic motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while parabolic motion involves a curved path. In linear motion, the object's velocity and acceleration are constant, while in parabolic motion, these values are constantly changing due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of an object in parabolic motion?

The trajectory of an object in parabolic motion is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory.

4. How is parabolic motion used in real life?

Parabolic motion has many practical applications, such as in sports, where objects like basketballs and footballs follow a parabolic path when thrown or kicked. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity on objects and in engineering to design and test projectiles and trajectories.

5. How is parabolic motion calculated and analyzed?

To calculate and analyze parabolic motion, we use the principles of projectile motion and apply equations such as the kinematic equations and the equations of motion. We can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time, to better understand its trajectory.