Introduction to Engineering Electromagnetics

In summary, based on your interests and level of study, some recommended textbooks on electromagnetics include Reitz & Milford's Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory, Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics, and Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. Additionally, you may want to supplement your course textbook with Balanis' Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics for a more in-depth understanding.
vg19
Hey,

It seems as though there are many books on electromagnetism out there, but most that I look at have mixed reviews. Before spending money on a book, would you happen to have any reccomendations on a solid introductory textbook on electromagnetics?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Give us a little more information so we can make the best recommendation for you. What year are you? (in college?) Have you had previous E&M classes? Is this for self-study, or as a supplement to a course text? You mention engineering. Are you interested primarily in engineering E&M, and applications, or more theoretical and physics-based?

Im currently in 2nd year Elec Eng. We do have a course text: Engineering Electromagnetics by Hayt and Buck. I have yet to purchase yet as we do have a copy available on reserve in the library.

The only other experience I have with electromagnetism would be First Year Physics.

At this point, I am not too concerned with applications, but a text that is very clear in its explanations of concepts with well guided examples.

From our course webpage: "This course focuses on: electrostatics, magnetostatics, and classical electrodynamics, as well as related topics from vector analysis, mathematical physics and electrical engineering."

Outline of Topics: 1. Introduction

2. Vector algebra and vector analysis; coordinate systems (revision)

3. Electrostatics and dielectric polarization

4. Magnetostatics and magnetic materials

5. Laplace and Poisson equations

6. Time-varying fields and Maxwell’s equations

Just like Alexander and Sadiku's Fundamentals of Electric Circuits has attained amazing reviews, I guess I am looking for a similar text.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm familiar with physics texts rather than engineering ones. Since you already had 1st year E&M (at level equivalent to Halliday & Resnick...?), I'd recommend the following:
1. Reitz & Milford, Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory. (I have 1st edition). Light on mathematical derivations and many people dislike it for that, but straightforward to read and definitely has an engineering flavor. Good sections on magnetism, circuits, but I don't think it covers waveguides.
2. Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. If your up for something more challenging, this is between an undergrad and grad level in difficulty, but beyond grad level in sophistication. Written by a Nobel Prize winner who shares wonderful insights into the beauty and unity of electricity and magnetism. A great book if you can get through it, but be prepared that the route to revelation is through relativitistic 4-vectors and the electromagnetic tensor. Excellent coverage of radiation, includes a short chapter on waveguides, but is not engineering oriented.
3. As for engineering E&M books, I've flipped through one by Balanis at the bookstore that looked good. You'll have to look up its name. His Antennas book is a masterpiece --comprehensive, clear, easy to understand, few errors-- so I'm betting his EEM book would be good, too.

Maybe someone else can chime in with more...

Hayt & Buck is a pretty standard engineering textbook for undergraduate electromagnetics. You may want to consider supplementing it with Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics, which is a physics-oriented text written at roughly the same level. Griffiths is very good at explaining concepts and solving useful example problems, and it covers all of the topics that you listed in the outline.

Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics by Balanis is a fairly standard graduate-level engineering electromagnetics textbook. I have heard that it is a decent textbook for a course at that level, but it may be a bit ambitious to use it at the undergraduate level.

What is engineering electromagnetics?

Engineering electromagnetics is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with electrical conductors, circuits, and devices. It involves the application of principles from electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations, to design and analyze various electrical systems and devices.

What are some real-world applications of engineering electromagnetics?

Engineering electromagnetics has a wide range of applications in modern technology, including wireless communication systems, radar and satellite systems, medical imaging devices, power generation and distribution systems, and electronic circuits and devices.

What are some key concepts to understand in engineering electromagnetics?

Some key concepts in engineering electromagnetics include electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, transmission lines, and antennas. It is also important to have a strong understanding of vector calculus and the mathematical principles behind Maxwell's equations.

How does engineering electromagnetics relate to other fields of engineering?

Engineering electromagnetics is closely related to other fields of engineering, such as electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering, and computer engineering. It also has applications in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and materials science.

What are some resources for learning more about engineering electromagnetics?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and tutorials available for learning about engineering electromagnetics. Some recommended resources include "Engineering Electromagnetics" by William Hayt and John Buck, "Introduction to Electromagnetic Engineering" by Roger F. Harrington, and the online course "Introduction to Engineering Electromagnetics" from MIT OpenCourseWare.