Introduction to Proofs texts/resources?

In summary, A Bridge to Abstract Mathematics: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs and Structures by Ronald Morash and How to Prove It, 2nd edition by Velleman are both recommended for an introduction to proofs. Another suggestion is the book by Robert Ash, which focuses more on showing proofs in mathematics rather than the mechanics.
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

My intro to Proofs class uses How to Prove It, 2nd edition by Velleman.

I would like a couple other references on introduction to proofs. What do you recommend? I don't mind spending hours agonizing over proofs, but I'd like to be able to check my work with answers somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
My favorite mathematics textbook:

A Bridge to Abstract Mathematics: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs and Structures By Ronald Morash

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070430438/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is meant for undergrads planning on going into grad school. It is very accessible. The first half could be understood by someone with one semester of calculus. The second half gets a little more advanced, but with some effort could probably still be tackled by a freshman. It is very clear and explains proofs methods in a lot of detail, and provides all the requisite background in set theory and discrete math.

i'll have to check some of these out... i was going to make a thread like this myself...

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered A Bridge to Abstract Mathematics: An Introduction to Mathematical Proofs and Structures By Ronald Morash. I can't wait to get it!

I appreciate you taking the time to make the recommendation.

I recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0883857081/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book by Robert Ash.

Someone is going to complain that I have not said why I recommend it, but I don't have anything to add to what amazon.com says. The difference between this book and Vellerman is that Ash spends less time on the mechanics of proofs (sets, logic, etc.), and more on actually showing you proofs in mathematics. So they make a nice pair.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an introduction to proofs text/resource?

An introduction to proofs text/resource is a collection of materials, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or lectures, that provide an overview of the basic principles and techniques used in mathematical proofs. These resources are typically used in undergraduate courses in mathematics, computer science, and related fields.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introduction to proofs text/resource?

Some common topics covered in an introduction to proofs text/resource include set theory, logic, proof strategies, and techniques for constructing and writing proofs. These resources may also cover more advanced topics such as induction, combinatorics, and graph theory.

3. How can an introduction to proofs text/resource benefit students?

An introduction to proofs text/resource can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as improve their understanding of mathematical concepts. These resources also provide a foundation for more advanced courses in mathematics and related fields.

4. Are there any recommended introduction to proofs text/resources?

There are many great introduction to proofs text/resources available, and the best one for you will depend on your individual needs and learning style. Some popular options include "How to Prove It" by Daniel Velleman, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand and Albert D. Polimeni, and "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari.

5. How can I get the most out of using an introduction to proofs text/resource?

To get the most out of using an introduction to proofs text/resource, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include completing practice problems, discussing concepts with peers or a tutor, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to supplement the text/resource with additional resources, such as online tutorials or lectures.