Introductory Particle Physics - Form factor, charge distribution?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the form factor F(q) and the normalised charge distribution \rho(\vec{r}). The simplified model for the proton's charge distribution is discussed, with a characteristic "size" R that sets the rate at which the charge dies away. The conversation then moves on to finding the constant of proportionality for normalizing \rho. The person asks for suggestions and receives a response advising them to compute the volume integral using spherical coordinates, centered on the proton's center.
jeebs
Here is the problem. I've been messing around with it for a while but I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is the right way to approach this.

The form factor F(q) = [tex]\int\rho(\vec{r})e^{i\vec{q}.\vec{r}/\hbar}d^{3}\vec{r}[/tex] is the 3D Fourier Transform of the normalised charge distribution [tex]\rho[/tex]([tex]\vec{r}[/tex]).

For a simplified model of a proton's charge distribution, [tex]\rho(r)\propto[/tex] (e[tex]^{-r/R}[/tex])/r.

R can be considered as some characteristic "size" of the proton, setting the rate at which the charge dies away, but does not constitute a hard edge to the proton.

i) Find the constant of proportionality required to normalise [tex]\rho[/tex] correctly.
ii) something else that presumably needs the answer to i) first.

I am new to all this particle physics business, so I am in unfamiliar territory and I'm not sure how to approach this question. I've so far just aimlessly waded into this and ended up with a couple of sides of mindless mathematical messing around. This could be a simple question or a complicated one for all I know, so I thought i'd post it here before I bother my busy lecturer...

Anyway, my closest attempted solution:

-what I thought was that I should assume the proton has its highest charge density at its centre and it gradually fades away, uniformly in all directions.

-I'm also thinking that r must be the distance from the centre of the proton, so that as r tends to infinity, the charge density [tex]\rho(r)[/tex] approaches zero.

-I'm trying to find some constant of proportionality here, let's call it A, so that [tex]\rho(r) =[/tex] A(e[tex]^{-r/R}[/tex])/r.

-I'm thinking that if I do [tex]\int \rho(r) dV = 1[/tex] then I can solve for A, but this is as far as I have got, I'm struggling with how to take this integral any further.

Am I on the right lines, has anyone got any suggestions that would make my life easier?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
Anyway, my closest attempted solution:

-what I thought was that I should assume the proton has its highest charge density at its centre and it gradually fades away, uniformly in all directions.

-I'm also thinking that r must be the distance from the centre of the proton, so that as r tends to infinity, the charge density [tex]\rho(r)[/tex] approaches zero.

-I'm trying to find some constant of proportionality here, let's call it A, so that [tex]\rho(r) =[/tex] A(e[tex]^{-r/R}[/tex])/r.

-I'm thinking that if I do [tex]\int \rho(r) dV = 1[/tex] then I can solve for A, but this is as far as I have got, I'm struggling with how to take this integral any further.

Am I on the right lines, has anyone got any suggestions that would make my life easier?

thanks.

Looks fine so far, now just compute the volume integral using spherical coordinates, centered on the proton's center (r=0)...you should know how to do that.

1. What is a form factor in particle physics?

A form factor is a mathematical function used to describe the distribution of electric charge within a particle. It is used to understand the internal structure of particles and how they interact with other particles.

2. How is a form factor related to charge distribution?

The form factor and charge distribution are closely related. The form factor is a mathematical description of the charge distribution within a particle, while the charge distribution refers to the physical distribution of electric charge within the particle.

3. What is the importance of studying form factors in particle physics?

Studying form factors is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. It allows us to probe the internal structure of particles and test the predictions of various theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How are form factors experimentally determined?

Form factors are typically determined through scattering experiments, where particles are fired at the target particle and the resulting interactions are measured. From these measurements, the form factor can be extracted and compared to theoretical predictions.

5. Can form factors change over time?

Yes, form factors can change over time as our understanding and technology for studying particles evolves. As new experiments and theories are developed, our understanding of form factors may be refined or updated.