Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intuition for forces & torques

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    Does the line of a force applied need to go through the centre of mass to cause translational acceleration?

I have follow up questions regarding the answer to this simple question which I cant find the answer for anywhere

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello decerto! :smile:
    any force will cause translational acceleration (if the body is free)

if its line does not pass through the centre of mass, then there will also be a rotational acceleration

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Ok thanks, the follow up question is related to the fact both torque and force do work, how is this work distributed for set amount of energy.

Say a force is applied not through the centre of mass by something with the ability to do X amount of work on a rigid body, what decides how much of that work goes into changing the kinetic energy vs changing the rotational energy

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i'm not aware of any simple formula

it would depend on the ratio of the moment of inertia of the body to its mass

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    How do you apply a force "with the ability to do x amount of work" ?

If you apply a single force to a body it will continue to accelerate indefinitely.

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6
    I suppose I'm talking about an impulse

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  8. Oct 5, 2012 #7
    So we are talking billiards, pool or snooker perhaps?

9. Oct 5, 2012 #8
    Sorry?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook