Why is intuition important in mathematics?

In summary, I think that the mind produces mathematical insights without any conscious effort, but it is important to keep developing intuition as it can be a burden at times.
Mathguy15
A funny thing happened to me recently...

I solved a complicated math problem (for me anyway), and it was almost as if I had no idea of what I was doing. I just started writing... and it kind of came out, unconsciously...
I think I know why Poincare said that intuition creates while logic verifies...

Can anyone elaborate on intuition in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathguy15 said:
A funny thing happened to me recently...

I solved a complicated math problem (for me anyway), and it was almost as if I had no idea of what I was doing. I just started writing... and it kind of came out, unconsciously...
I think I know why Poincare said that intuition creates while logic verifies...

Can anyone elaborate on intuition in mathematics?

my experience is that mathematical truths appear in the mind suddenly rather than coming from algorithms. Often insight even happens when you are not consciously thinking about math, I do not know why this is true,

lavinia said:
my experience is that mathematical truths appear in the mind suddenly rather than coming from algorithms. Often insight even happens when you are not consciously thinking about math, I do not know why this is true,

Hm... I think that is broadly true. I think that the mind produces such occurrences after plugging away at the problem while you aren't. However, it is important to note that the breakthroughs often come as a result of much conscious work.

I think it's important to HAVE intuition, and to keep developing it. But at a certain point, intuition can be more of a burden than anything else. Intuition lies. Especially when dealing with things that don't behave nicely (infinity, for example).

lavinia said:

That's how it is for me, too - not with just math but with physical problems, too. But wrt math, I always thought that I get insight-all-at-once because I never took very advanced math (just up to advanced calculus).

I've also found that getting solutions suddenly makes it very difficult to explain my problem-solving process to someone who's struggling. I mean, "Read the problem, think a bit, and then the answer just comes into your head!" is not very helpful :wink:.

1. What is intuition in mathematics?

Intuition in mathematics is the ability to understand and solve mathematical problems without relying on formal rules or procedures. It involves using one's natural instincts, insights, and understanding of patterns and relationships to arrive at a solution.

2. How does intuition play a role in solving mathematical problems?

Intuition can provide a starting point for solving a problem, as it allows for the generation of hypotheses and ideas. It can also help in making connections between different concepts and identifying patterns that may not be immediately obvious.

3. Is intuition a reliable method for solving mathematical problems?

Intuition can be a useful tool in mathematics, but it should not be relied on solely. It is important to back up intuitive insights with logical reasoning and proof to ensure the accuracy and validity of the solution.

4. Can intuition be learned or developed in mathematics?

Yes, intuition can be developed and strengthened through practice and exposure to various mathematical problems. This can be achieved through exploring different problem-solving strategies, thinking creatively, and being open to different approaches.

5. Are there any drawbacks to relying on intuition in mathematics?

While intuition can be helpful in solving mathematical problems, it may not always lead to the most accurate or efficient solution. It is important to balance intuition with logical reasoning and proof to ensure the validity of the solution.