Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Invalid HTML causing odd effects

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm getting bits of an invalid HTML comment appearing on the screen at times in Google Chrome. From "View Source" I see that the whole string is as follows:

<!– google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) –>

This is an invalid comment because the dashes should be double. As I'm a contributor I'm not expecting to see any ads anyway. I don't know why Chrome (dev build) is letting bits of it leak into the displayed document, and that might be a bug, but it shouldn't be there anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm also getting similar bits showing from another invalid comment as follows, matching the earlier one:

<!– google_ad_section_end –>

I've now worked out what is going on, in that a browser search on "end ->" did not find the above, and by cutting and pasting it and using debug to look at it in hex I found that what appears at first glance in my Windows browser to be a normal dash is actually an extended ASCII code 150, which is an en-dash in the usual Windows code. I guess someone entered this using a "intelligent" word-processing editor which changes double dash to the Windows en-dash, so it doesn't work as a comment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook