Invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices

In summary, the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices refers to the property that the value of the quadratic form of a matrix remains unchanged when transformed by a unitary matrix. This property is important as it simplifies calculations and has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics. It can be proven using basic linear algebra techniques and only holds for unitary matrices, unlike other types of matrices where the quadratic form may change. The invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices is used in various practical applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression, allowing for efficient and accurate calculations.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Show that all ##n \times n## unitary matrices ##U## leave invariant the quadratic form ##|x_{1}|^{2} + |x_{2}|^{2} + \cdots + |x_{n}|^{2}##, that is, that if ##x'=Ux##, then ##|x'|^{2}=|x|^{2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##|x'|^{2} = (x')^{\dagger}(x') = (Ux)^{\dagger}(Ux) = x^{\dagger}U^{\dagger}Ux = x^{\dagger}x = x^{2}##.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Am I correct?
Yes. (Although I always need to get used to the physicist's notation for the Hermitian transpose. :wink:)

Thanks!

I always wish I could see from the mathematician's point of view, being as I am from a Physics background. :smile:

1. What is the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices?

The invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices refers to the property that the quadratic form of a matrix remains the same when transformed by a unitary matrix. In other words, the value of the quadratic form is preserved regardless of the unitary transformation applied to the matrix.

2. Why is the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices important?

This property is important because it allows us to simplify calculations involving quadratic forms by using unitary transformations. It also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, where unitary matrices are commonly used to represent physical systems.

3. How is the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices proven?

The invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices can be proven using basic linear algebra techniques. Specifically, it can be shown that the quadratic form of a matrix, which is defined as the product of the matrix with its transpose, remains unchanged when multiplied by a unitary matrix.

4. Can the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices be extended to other types of matrices?

No, the invariance of quadratic form only holds for unitary matrices. For other types of matrices, such as orthogonal or symmetric matrices, the quadratic form may change when multiplied by a transformation matrix.

5. How is the invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices used in practical applications?

The invariance of quadratic form for unitary matrices is used in various applications, such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It allows for efficient and accurate calculations by simplifying the representation and manipulation of matrices.