Invariance of the speed of light

In summary, Szekeres outlined a method that shows this. If you use the angles in u_x=u \cos \theta,\, u_y=u \sin \theta, \, u'_x=u' \cos \theta',\, u'_y=u' \sin \theta', then it follows that u'_x=u' \cos \theta' and u'_y=u' \sin \theta'.
littleHilbert
Hello!

Consider the law of addition of velocities for a particle moving in the x-y plane:

[itex]u_x=\frac{u'_x+v}{1+u'_xv/c^2},\, u_y=\frac{u'_y}{\gamma(1+u'_xv/c^2)}[/itex]

In the book by Szekeres on mathematical physics on p.238 it is said that if u'=c, then it follows from the above formulae that u=c, i.e. invariance of the speed of light under the given Lorentz boost, which is of course exactly what we wish, since a Lorentz boost must preserve the null cone.

The weird thing is that when I start with [itex]c^2=(u')^2=(u'_x)^2+(u'_y)^2[/itex] and try to apply the above formulae to simply get [itex](u'_x)^2+(u'_y)^2=(u_x)^2+(u_y)^2[/itex], i.e. working backwards towards the invariance of the null cone, I get quickly lost in the actual computation, because it seems to be leading nowhere…nothing cancels out. It doesn't matter which boost one takes…it doesn't seem to work (at the moment).

It can't be that hard. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and can't imagine that I missed some concept. Did anybody already see how the computation goes? Is there anything one should pay attention to? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
On the same page, Szekeres outlines a method that shows this.

If you mean using the angles in [itex]u_x=u \cos \theta,\, u_y=u \sin \theta, \, u'_x=u' \cos \theta',\, u'_y=u' \sin \theta'[/itex] …does it really help? I tried to plug them in, too…but same thing…the computation gets lengthier and seems to be getting nowhere. There is actually no more on that page, except for the relation between the angles.

littleHilbert said:
If you mean using the angles in [itex]u_x=u \cos \theta,\, u_y=u \sin \theta, \, u'_x=u' \cos \theta',\, u'_y=u' \sin \theta'[/itex] …does it really help? I tried to plug them in, too…but same thing…the computation gets lengthier and seems to be getting nowhere. There is actually no more on that page, except for the relation between the angles.

Yes, use ##u'_x = c \cos \theta'## and ##u'_y = c \sin \theta'## in

[itex]\frac{u_x}{c} = \frac{u'_x+v}{c+u'_xv/c},\, \frac{u_y}{c}=\frac{u'_{y}/\gamma}{(c+u'_xv/c)}[/itex],

and calculate ##\left( u_{x}/c \right)^2 + \left( u_{y}/c \right)^2##.

In ##u_y##, keep the ##1/\gamma## in the numerator, so that ##1/\gamma^2 = 1 - v^2 / c^2##. Expand the squares, and write ##\sin^2 \theta' = 1 - \cos^2 \theta'##.

Oh yes, that sounds much more promising! I'll try this now…thanks in advance! :-)

OK, that was trivial...I knew it must be easy…if one arranges things the right way. I too was using the pythagorean theorem in order to get rid of some terms. But at the same time I was computing the difference [itex]u^2_x+u^2_y-c^2[/itex] to get 0…and yeah…somehow fell asleep.
Many thanks, George.

1. What is the theory of invariance of the speed of light?

The theory of invariance of the speed of light states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is a constant and does not change based on the motion of the source or observer.

2. Why is the invariance of the speed of light important?

The invariance of the speed of light is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of space and time.

3. How was the invariance of the speed of light discovered?

The invariance of the speed of light was first discovered in the late 19th century by the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. This experiment aimed to measure the speed of Earth's motion through the hypothetical "ether", a medium thought to be necessary for the propagation of light. However, the results showed that the speed of light remained the same in all directions, leading to the discovery of the invariance of the speed of light.

4. Can the invariance of the speed of light be violated?

No, according to current theories and experimental evidence, the invariance of the speed of light cannot be violated. The speed of light is considered a fundamental constant and any violation of it would require a major revision of our understanding of physics.

5. How does the invariance of the speed of light affect space and time?

The invariance of the speed of light has significant implications for our understanding of space and time. It is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at a constant speed. This leads to concepts like time dilation and length contraction, which demonstrate that space and time are not absolute but are relative to the observer's frame of reference.