Inverse of a partial derivative?

In summary, an integrative inverse of a partial derivative is an arbitrary function that takes the place of the original arbitrary constant.
romsofia
As we know, the inverse of a derivative is an integral and visa versa, but what's the inverse of a partial derivative? Is it even possible to un-do a partial derivative?

Thanks for your help as I've been thinking about this for a couple days now!

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between a partial and a complete derivative is what the derivative is with respect to. This is the same as for an integral---i.e. the reverse of a complete derivative would be an integral over all variables, while the reverse of a partial derivative would be an integral over only the one variable in question.

To add on to what zhermes said, an integral will undo a partial derivative, but the arbitrary constant is now an arbitrary function. e.g., given [itex]\partial f(x,y,z)/\partial x[/itex],

[tex]\int dx~\frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial x} = f(x,y,z) + C(y,z)[/tex]

Likes Adrian B
zhermes said:
The difference between a partial and a complete derivative is what the derivative is with respect to. This is the same as for an integral---i.e. the reverse of a complete derivative would be an integral over all variables, while the reverse of a partial derivative would be an integral over only the one variable in question.

Mute said:
To add on to what zhermes said, an integral will undo a partial derivative, but the arbitrary constant is now an arbitrary function. e.g., given [itex]\partial f(x,y,z)/\partial x[/itex],

[tex]\int dx~\frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial x} = f(x,y,z) + C(y,z)[/tex]

Thanks, another question, why is it a function?

romsofia said:

In single-variable calculus, you have to add an arbitrary constant when you differentiate because you know the derivative of a constant is zero, so when doing indefinite integration you have to account for the possibility that in undoing the derivative there was a constant that was lost because it was differentiated.

The same thing applies in multivariable calculus: if I have a function C(y,z), then the partial derivative of C(y,z) with respect to x is zero:

[tex]\frac{\partial C(y,z)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

so when I integrated [itex]\partial f(x,y,z)/\partial x[/itex] with respect to x to undo the derivative I had to account for the fact that there may have been a function of y and z that was lost when the full function was differentiated.

romsofia said:
If you are referring to the "C(y,z)" it is because partial differentiation with respect to one variable treats other variables like constants:

[tex]x^2y+ e^zcos(y)[/tex]
[tex]x^2y+ ln(yz)+ sin(z^2)[/tex]
[tex]x^2y- cos(e^z)+ y^2[/tex]
all have partial derivative, with respect to x, 2xy.

Is this something usually taught in calc three (the how to "un-do" a partial derivative)? I can't seem to find any of this in my notes :x

1. What is the inverse of a partial derivative?

The inverse of a partial derivative is the process of finding the original function from its partial derivative. In other words, it involves finding the function that was differentiated to obtain the given partial derivative.

2. Why is finding the inverse of a partial derivative useful?

Finding the inverse of a partial derivative is useful in many areas of science and mathematics. It allows us to solve complex differential equations and better understand the behavior of multi-variable functions.

3. How do you find the inverse of a partial derivative?

To find the inverse of a partial derivative, you must first integrate the given partial derivative with respect to the variable it is differentiated with. This will give you the original function, with a constant of integration included.

4. Can the inverse of a partial derivative always be found?

No, the inverse of a partial derivative may not always be found. This is because the partial derivative may not be a one-to-one function, meaning it does not have a unique inverse.

5. How is the inverse of a partial derivative related to the chain rule?

The inverse of a partial derivative can be seen as the reverse of the chain rule. Just as the chain rule allows us to find the partial derivative of a composite function, the inverse of a partial derivative allows us to find the original function from its partial derivative.