Can a valid metric always be inverted?

• Thread starter Pacopag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, when trying to invert a tensor equation, you should first try to find the inverse of h, then apply it to both sides of the equation.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

I would like to know how to "invert" a tensor equation (see 2. Homework Equations ).

Homework Equations

[tex]x^{a} = h^{a}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
I just want to know how to get y-components in terms of x-components in general.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to believe that [tex]h_{a}{ }^{b} h^{a}{ } _{c} = \delta^{b}{ } _{c}[/tex], but I'm not really sure that this is correct. Any help? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pacopag said:

Homework Statement

I would like to know how to "invert" a tensor equation (see 2. Homework Equations ).

Homework Equations

I just want to know how to get y-components in terms of x-components in general.

I want to believe that [tex]h_{a}{ }^{b} h^{a}{ } _{c} = \delta^{b}{ } _{c}[/tex], but I'm not really sure that this is correct. Any help? Thanks.

what is the definition of your h??

[tex]h_{a b}=g_{a b}+k_{a} N_{b} + N_{a} k_{b}[/tex]

where k and N are both null vectors and [tex]N_{a} k^{a} = -1[/tex]
Here, h is called the transverse metric (i.e. transverse the the null vector fields k and N.

Pacopag said:

Here, h is called the transverse metric (i.e. transverse the the null vector fields k and N.

Then you can calculate explicitly [tex] h_a^b h^a_c [/tex], no?

I can expand it all out, but I don't know what to do with terms like [tex]g_{b}{}^{c} k_{c} N^{a}[/tex].
I mean, I can't do the typical contraction-like operation with the metric g.
Another thing: is [tex]g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c}=\delta^{a}{}_{b}[/tex] ?
I'm pretty sure this is the case for the Minkowski metric, but what about a general metric?

Last edited:
Pacopag said:

So [tex]h_{a }^b=g_{a}^b+k_{a} N^{b} + N_{a} k^{b}[/tex]
and

[tex]h^{a }_c=g^{a}_c+k^{a} N_{c} + N^{a} k_{c}[/tex]

So then you may contract them over "a"

Pacopag said:
I can expand it all out, but I don't know what to do with terms like [tex]g_{b}{}^{c} k_{c} N^{a}[/tex].
I mean, I can't do the typical contraction-like operation with the metric g.
Another thing: is [tex]g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c}=\delta^{a}{}_{b}[/tex] ?
I'm pretty sure this is the case for the Minkowski metric, but what about a general metric?

[tex]g_{b}{}^{c} k_{c} N^{a}[/tex] is just [tex] k_b N^a [/tex]

In that case, I'm getting [tex]h^{a}{}_{c} h_{b}{}^{c}=g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c}+2(k_{b} N^{a} + N_{b} k^{a} +1)=g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c} + 2(h^{a}{}_{b}-g^{a}{}_{b}+1)[/tex]. This doesn't look like the kronecker delta I want in order to verify that I have the inverse of h.

Last edited:
Pacopag said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Sorry, I just went back to your first post. I am not sure why you want o invert h. why not simply apply g_a^c to both sides of your first equation?

[tex]g_{a}{}^{c} x^{a} =g_{a}{}^{c} h^{a}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
[tex] x^{c} = h^{c}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
I'm not getting it. Am I doing that wrong? I want to isolate the y-components in terms of the x-components. So my plan is to find the inverse of h, then apply it both sides of my first equation.

Last edited:
The vectors [itex]k^\alpha,\,N^\alpha[/itex] are null eigenvectors of [itex]h_{\mu\nu}[/itex], i.e. [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,N^\nu=0,\,h_{\mu\nu}\,k^\nu=0[/itex], thus [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,h^{\nu\tau}=h_\mu{}^\tau[/itex].
Now let [itex]x^\alpha=h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta \quad (\ast)[/itex] and contract with [itex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha[/itex] in order to get

[tex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\beta\,y^\beta\overset{(\ast)}\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=x^\gamma \quad \forall x^\gamma[/tex]

thus [itex](\ast)\Rightarrow y^\alpha=x^\alpha[/itex].

Rainbow Child said:
The vectors [itex]k^\alpha,\,N^\alpha[/itex] are null eigenvectors of [itex]h_{\mu\nu}[/itex], i.e. [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,N^\nu=0,\,h_{\mu\nu}\,k^\nu=0[/itex], thus [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,h^{\nu\tau}=h_\mu{}^\tau[/itex].
Now let [itex]x^\alpha=h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta \quad (\ast)[/itex] and contract with [itex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha[/itex] in order to get

[tex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\beta\,y^\beta\overset{(\ast)}\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=x^\gamma \quad \forall x^\gamma[/tex]

thus [itex](\ast)\Rightarrow y^\alpha=x^\alpha[/itex].

Ah! I was not told they were null eigenvectors of h!

Rainbow Child, your logic seems bulletproof, but the conclusion seems strange to me. If [tex]y^{a}=x^{a}[/tex], then doesn't that mean that h is just the identity (i.e. [tex]h^{a}{}_{b}=\delta^{a}{}_{b}[/tex])? I don't think that this can be since k is arbitrary.

Last edited:
It should, if [itex]h^\alpha{}_\beta[/itex] has an inverse. But I don't think it has! :smile:

Then that makes things much more difficult for me. I'll keep plugging away. Thank you kdv and Rainbow Child for your replies.

Does every valid metric have an inverse? If so, then I would expect that h has an inverse because its interpretation is that it is the metric on a hypersurface that is orthogonal to the congruence defined by k.

1. How do you invert a tensor equation?

Inverting a tensor equation involves using a mathematical process called tensor inversion. This process involves finding the inverse of the tensor, which is a mathematical operation similar to finding the reciprocal of a number. This inverse can then be used to solve the tensor equation.

2. What is the purpose of inverting a tensor equation?

Inverting a tensor equation allows us to solve for unknown variables in the equation. This is useful in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different variables in the equation.

3. Are there any limitations to inverting a tensor equation?

Yes, there are certain limitations to inverting a tensor equation. For example, the equation must be linear and have a unique solution. Additionally, the inverse of the tensor must exist, meaning that the determinant of the tensor must not be equal to zero.

4. Can you provide an example of inverting a tensor equation?

Sure, let's consider the equation A = B*C, where A, B, and C are tensors. To solve for B, we can invert the equation by multiplying both sides by the inverse of C, resulting in B = A*C-1. This allows us to solve for B in terms of A and C.

5. How does inverting a tensor equation differ from inverting a regular equation?

Inverting a tensor equation is more complex than inverting a regular equation because tensors have multiple components and follow certain mathematical rules. Additionally, the inverse of a tensor is also a tensor, whereas the inverse of a regular equation is a number. Inverting a tensor equation requires a deeper understanding of tensor algebra and advanced mathematical techniques.