1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverting a tensor equation

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to know how to "invert" a tensor equation (see 2. Relevant equations).

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]x^{a} = h^{a}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
    I just want to know how to get y-components in terms of x-components in general.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to believe that [tex]h_{a}{ }^{b} h^{a}{ } _{c} = \delta^{b}{ } _{c}[/tex], but I'm not really sure that this is correct. Any help? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

kdv

what is the definition of your h??

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    [tex]h_{a b}=g_{a b}+k_{a} N_{b} + N_{a} k_{b}[/tex]

where k and N are both null vectors and [tex]N_{a} k^{a} = -1[/tex]
    Here, h is called the transverse metric (i.e. transverse the the null vector fields k and N.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

kdv

Then you can calculate explicitly [tex] h_a^b h^a_c [/tex], no?

6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    I can expand it all out, but I don't know what to do with terms like [tex]g_{b}{}^{c} k_{c} N^{a}[/tex].
    I mean, I can't do the typical contraction-like operation with the metric g.
    Another thing: is [tex]g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c}=\delta^{a}{}_{b}[/tex] ?
    I'm pretty sure this is the case for the Minkowski metric, but what about a general metric?

7. Feb 18, 2008 #6

kdv

So [tex]h_{a }^b=g_{a}^b+k_{a} N^{b} + N_{a} k^{b}[/tex]
    and

[tex]h^{a }_c=g^{a}_c+k^{a} N_{c} + N^{a} k_{c}[/tex]

So then you may contract them over "a"

8. Feb 18, 2008 #7

kdv

[tex]g_{b}{}^{c} k_{c} N^{a}[/tex] is just [tex] k_b N^a [/tex]

9. Feb 18, 2008 #8
    In that case, I'm getting [tex]h^{a}{}_{c} h_{b}{}^{c}=g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c}+2(k_{b} N^{a} + N_{b} k^{a} +1)=g^{a}{}_{c} g_{b}{}^{c} + 2(h^{a}{}_{b}-g^{a}{}_{b}+1)[/tex]. This doesn't look like the kronecker delta I want in order to verify that I have the inverse of h.

10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

kdv

Sorry, I just went back to your first post. I am not sure why you want o invert h. why not simply apply g_a^c to both sides of your first equation?

11. Feb 18, 2008 #10
    [tex]g_{a}{}^{c} x^{a} =g_{a}{}^{c} h^{a}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
    [tex] x^{c} = h^{c}{ } _{b} y^{b}[/tex].
    I'm not getting it. Am I doing that wrong? I want to isolate the y-components in terms of the x-components. So my plan is to find the inverse of h, then apply it both sides of my first equation.

12. Feb 18, 2008 #11
    The vectors [itex]k^\alpha,\,N^\alpha[/itex] are null eigenvectors of [itex]h_{\mu\nu}[/itex], i.e. [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,N^\nu=0,\,h_{\mu\nu}\,k^\nu=0[/itex], thus [itex]h_{\mu\nu}\,h^{\nu\tau}=h_\mu{}^\tau[/itex].
    Now let [itex]x^\alpha=h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta \quad (\ast)[/itex] and contract with [itex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha[/itex] in order to get

[tex]h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,h^\alpha{}_\beta\,y^\beta\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=h^\gamma{}_\beta\,y^\beta\overset{(\ast)}\Rightarrow h^\gamma{}_\alpha\,x^\alpha=x^\gamma \quad \forall x^\gamma[/tex]

thus [itex](\ast)\Rightarrow y^\alpha=x^\alpha[/itex].

13. Feb 18, 2008 #12

kdv

Ah! I was not told they were null eigenvectors of h!

14. Feb 18, 2008 #13
    Rainbow Child, your logic seems bulletproof, but the conclusion seems strange to me. If [tex]y^{a}=x^{a}[/tex], then doesn't that mean that h is just the identity (i.e. [tex]h^{a}{}_{b}=\delta^{a}{}_{b}[/tex])? I don't think that this can be since k is arbitrary.

15. Feb 18, 2008 #14
    It should, if [itex]h^\alpha{}_\beta[/itex] has an inverse. But I don't think it has! :smile:

16. Feb 18, 2008 #15
    Then that makes things much more difficult for me. I'll keep plugging away. Thank you kdv and Rainbow Child for your replies.

17. Feb 18, 2008 #16
    Does every valid metric have an inverse? If so, then I would expect that h has an inverse because its interpretation is that it is the metric on a hypersurface that is orthogonal to the congruence defined by k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?