When can I use inverse differentials to calculate derivatives?

In summary, the relationship dx/dt = Inverse(dt/dx) = 1/(dt/dx) holds when x(t) has a differentiable inverse function and dx/dt is not equal to 0. This can be shown using the composite function h(x)=X(T(x))=x and H(t)=T(X(t))=t. The example X(t)=t^3 and T(x)=x^(1/3) illustrates this relationship.
Allday
This is a simple dummy question. What are the conditions under which the following relationship holds,

dx/dt = Inverse(dt/dx) = 1/(dt/dx)

meaning if I want to do a derivative and I know t(x) but not x(t) when can I just calculate dt/dx and put it over 1 to get dx/dt. I see this in derivations a lot, but always wonder what the realm of applicability is.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First those are not "differentials", they are "derivatives". I mention that because I don't believe the "inverse" of a differential exists.

1/(dx/dt)= dt/dx (it would be better to say "reciprocal" rather than "inverse") as long as x(t) has a differentiable inverse function- and dx/dt is not 0. And it can be shown that a differentiable function has a differentiable inverse on some neighborhood of [itex](t_0, x(t_0))[/itex], dx/dt is not 0 so you really only need the condition that dx/dt is not 0.

ALLDAY:

Suppose you have an invertible function X(t), i.e, there exists a function T(x), so that
the composite function h(x)=X(T(x))=x, and the composite function H(t)=T(X(t))=t, for all values of x and t.

Then we have, for example:
[tex]\frac{dh}{dx}=\frac{dX}{dt}\mid_{t=T(x)}*\frac{dT}{dx}=1[/tex]

Thus, we get:
[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}=\frac{1}{\frac{dX}{dt}\mid_{t=T(x)}}[/tex]

Let us take an example:

Let [tex]X(t)=t^{3}\to{T}(x)=\sqrt[3]{x}[/tex]

Then, we have:
[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}=\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
whereas:
[tex]\frac{dX}{dt}=3t^{2},\frac{dX}{dt}\mid_{t=T(x)}=3x^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
and the reciprocal of this agreeing with the former expression.

thanks Halls and arildno, that makes it clear.

1. What is the purpose of inverting differentials?

Inverting differentials is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving rates of change. It allows us to find the original function that produced a given derivative.

2. How is inverting differentials different from finding antiderivatives?

Inverting differentials is a more specific technique that is used when the derivative of a function is known, while finding antiderivatives is a more general technique for finding the original function given any derivative.

3. Can any differential be inverted?

No, not all differentials can be inverted. Only differentials that have a one-to-one correspondence between the derivative and the original function can be inverted.

4. What are some real-life applications of inverting differentials?

Inverting differentials is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change. It is also used in curve fitting and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to inverting differentials?

Yes, inverting differentials can only be used to find the original function when the derivative is known. It cannot be used to find the derivative when the function is known, and it is not always possible to invert a differential.