Investigating SEU in a Silicon Component Irradiation

I would say the solution manual has a typo.In summary, a silicon component is irradiated with an oxygen ion beam in an accelerator. The highest energy for which Single-Event Upsets (SEU) are observed is 10 MeV/nucleon. The shortest dimension of the sensitive volume is 2 µm and the ion energies do not change during traveling. The equation used to calculate the energy required for producing an electron/hole pair in silicon is Ec = ρSi*d*LETm,th. The LETTh value in the solution manual is incorrectly stated as 0.85, as the correct value is closer to 0.87 based on the given diagram.
Firben

Homework Statement

[/B]
A silicon component is irradiated in an accelerator. The oxygen ion beam is pointed in the direction of the shortest dimension of the sensitive volume of the device. The energy required for producing an electron/hole pair in silicon is 3.6 eV. It is found that the highest energy for which SEU (Single-Event Upsets or “soft errors”) is observed is 10 MeV/nucleon. Assume that the shortest dimension of the sensitive volume is 2 µm and that ion energies do not change during traveling.

Homework Equations

Ec = ρSi*d*LETm,th

Figure:
http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/LET_zpsqdevvbpw.png.html

The Attempt at a Solution

ρSi = 2.33 g/cm^2
d = 2μm

I have trouble to read of the diagram of what LETTh is. If the energy is 10 Mev and if i draw a straight line upward i got the value of 10^0 or 1 LET (Mev * cm^2/mg). In the solution manual the LETTh value is 0.85 why ?

Ec = 2.33*0.0002*0.9/10^-3 = 0.391 Mev
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Firben said:
I have trouble to read of the diagram of what LETTh is. If the energy is 10 Mev and if i draw a straight line upward i got the value of 10^0 or 1 LET (Mev * cm^2/mg).
I get a smaller value, even a bit below 0.85.

Using your pixel values for the positions, I get about 0.87. I put it one pixel lower which gave 0.82. It is a log scale, so 15% difference is not much.

1. What is SEU and why is it important to investigate in silicon components?

SEU stands for single event upset, which is a phenomenon where a single ionizing particle can cause an error or change in the state of a silicon component. Investigating SEU is important because it can lead to malfunctions or failures in electronic devices, which can have serious consequences in industries such as aerospace and nuclear power.

2. How does radiation affect silicon components and cause SEU?

Radiation can cause ionization in the silicon material, which creates free electrons and holes. These free charges can disrupt the normal operation of the component, leading to an SEU. Additionally, radiation can also cause damage to the physical structure of the component, further increasing the likelihood of SEU.

3. What methods are used to investigate SEU in silicon components?

There are several methods used to investigate SEU, including heavy ion irradiation, proton irradiation, and pulsed laser testing. These methods involve exposing the component to different types and levels of radiation and monitoring its response for any anomalies.

4. How do scientists mitigate the effects of SEU in silicon components?

One way to mitigate the effects of SEU is by using radiation-hardened components, which are designed to withstand higher levels of radiation without experiencing SEU. Other techniques include using shielding materials, redundancy in the system, and error correction coding.

5. What are the potential applications of investigating SEU in silicon components?

Investigating SEU in silicon components has a wide range of potential applications, including improving the reliability of electronic devices in critical systems, such as medical equipment and satellites. It can also help in the development of more robust and radiation-resistant materials and technologies.