Investigation on a Light Dependant Resistor

In summary, a laboratory experiment can be designed using a light-dependent resistor (LDR) to investigate the intensity of light emitted by a lamp at different wavelengths. This can be achieved by using a diffraction grating or prism to separate the wavelengths, and then calibrating the LDR setup by matching the colors of light to their corresponding wavelengths. The LDR operates by having a decrease in resistance as light intensity increases, and can be used in various circuits for measurement. To ensure accuracy and reliability, factors such as ambient light and display limitations must be controlled and safety precautions must be taken.
SMUDGY
Special lamps may be purchased to help plants grow indoors. These lamps produce light with wavelengths comparable to natural sunlight. A manufacturer wishes to check these lamps by measuring the out put of the lamp at different wavelengths.

The above is the scenario given :smile:

You are required to design a laboratory experiment using a light dependant resistor (LDR) to investigate how the intensity of light emitted by a lamp varies with wavelength.

The requirement of what i need to do above :smile:

A diagram of the arrangement of your apparatus, and in your account you should pay particular atttention to

a. the procedure to be followed
b. how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined
c. how a measure of the intensity can be obtained from the LDR.
d. the range and precision of any instruments that would be used
e. the factors that would need to be controlled to ensure that it is a valid test
f any safety precautions you would take when carrying out the investigation
g particular features of the design that would ensure the accuarcy and reliability of your results.

The above is the crucial content that i need to put into my report :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved from HH-Advanced Physics to HH-Engineering.

SMUDGY, you got a lot of help in a previous thread where you were asking about measuring light with an LDR:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=156512

Tell us what-all you learned from that thread, and what your thoughts are about this assignment.

That is a different scenario to the one i am doing now. It doesn't provide enough information to me because it talks about a photocell and i am using an LDR and i need to work out the wavelength and intensity of visible light falling on the LDR. That talks about a laser
the procedure to be followed.
how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined.
how a measure of the intensity can be obtained from the LDR.
i cannot find any information on these and i need desperate help.

i have found that you can use diffraction grating to measure the wavelength of light and use the rearranged formula: lamda=sSintheta/n where s is the separation of 2 slits and n is 1 for the first spectrum. But i am unsure how to do a diagram for it and a method of how to carry it out

As you say, you will need to use a grating or prism to separate the wavelengths of light. But then you need to have some calibration mechanism, I would think. Either that, or you would have to know the distribution of the intensity of the various wavelengths of light in your light source. What do you know about your light source?

i am using a vertical filament lamp. how would you measure the distribution of the intensity of the wavelengths of light in the filament lamp.

SMUDGY said:
i am using a vertical filament lamp. how would you measure the distribution of the intensity of the wavelengths of light in the filament lamp.

If it's a filament lamp, then its emission spectrum should follow the black body radiation curve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body_radiation

So you need to find out what the operating temperature is for your filament, and that will give you an idea of the intensity variation with wavelength. I'm not sure how to find out the temperature for your filament -- if it's a high-quality bulb, maybe it has a datasheet. If not, you could try looking at the datasheets for high quality lab light sources to see if they list typical operating temperatures.

What equipment do i need to use to do this experiment and how do i set up. I am stuck on this cause i only need to plan it out. I won't actually be doing the experiment

I also have this assignment. I am having difficulty finding how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined. How exactly can the diffraction grating be used for this?

hitman01 said:
I also have this assignment. I am having difficulty finding how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined. How exactly can the diffraction grating be used for this?

Well, one thing you can do is to shine the light source through the diffraction grating or prism, and mark on a piece of paper where the light falls, what colors are where. Then look up the wavelength of those different colors of light in the rainbow (use wikipedia.org or whatever), and write those on the paper as well. Then when you move your LDR setup over those places on the paper to intercept that color of light, you will have a moderate calibration to the wavelength. Make sense?

You can add me to the list of people working on this as well :rolleyes:

For equipment, I have put:

Power Supply
Ray Box
Prism
Paper
LDR
Ammeter

I've chosen to use the paper method with prism, as I was unsure about using the diffraction grating. In my method, I have got as far as moving the LDR through the different wavelengths. I am stuck on part C of the assignment: "How can light intensity be determined from the LDR?" Anyone help?

What can you tell us about LDRs? How do they work? What are the typical measurement circuits that are used with them, and what kind of error terms do you need to consider?

I know that as the light intensity decreases, the resistance increases, but do not know a forumla for working out an exact intensity. As an error I have put ambient light, and limited display on meter.

I don't know anything about LDRs, but I'd suspect that their resistance goes down as the light intensity increases. Do you have some datasheets for LDRs? What about application notes on how to use them?

Here are two datasheets of LDR:
http://www.biltek.tubitak.gov.tr/gelisim/elektronik/dosyalar/25/LDR_NSL19_M51.pdf
http://www.makingthings.com/resources/datasheets/acc_pht_001.pdf

And here some websites with circuits including LDR:
http://homepages.westminster.org.uk/electronics/voltage.htm#what
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Electronics_AS/Electronics_Module_1/Topic_5/topic_5__resistive_input_transdu.htm
http://www.nexusresearchgroup.com/technical_data/sensors.htm#intro

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the help so far, and yes, resistance goes down as light intensity increases. I do not have to explain in great detail about the workings of the LDR, as the assignment is on a 500 word limit. My main problem is actually working out what the light intensity is, based on the wavelength and resistance.

cherrymushroom said:
This seems to be an equation linking light intensity and resistance: http://www.emant.com/index.php?tid=316002 but I have no idea if it's what we need.

This thread has really helped - thanks.

Can anyone explain the equation? i don't get it.

Hello

I seem to be doing the same thing and my first question is that if the graffting method is not used and the black body is used what apparatus should be used and with the formula since i do not really get it as well should it be quoted or its better explained and if better explained could someone help in doing so...please

Last edited:
After seeing the formula i don't know what the numbers included represent but its basically (2500/Vout-500)and all that divided by "3.3"

after speaking to my lecturer about it, he says that getting a figure for the light intensity is far too complex, and even he wouldn't know where to begin. He told me to use the diffraction grating, and put the LDR in a circuit, using a power supply and a ammeter. Use the currrent to represent light intensity, as you will still be able to see the changes... i.e

as light intensity increases, resistance will decrease, so the current will increase as well.

Hope that helps people...

I've also spoken to many different teachers about it and they've all said that its an extremely difficult thing to do at this level of teaching.

However if it helps, the method that I was suggested would be to use coloured filters which come with a wavelength datasheet, that way you've got your wavelength and can use an ammeter to measure the intensity (in the way that milleniumbug suggested).

As for discluding ambient light, its almost impossible unless done in a dark room.

Hope this helps! :cool:

hey I am also doing same thing - and stuck

hey
i was considering doing the prism option for my experiment and but i was wondering how i can measure the angle from the prism in just one colour - e.g blue no red and white

and if there is a equation to do this

i was also wondering how u connect your LDR into your circuit and what the whole point of using the LDR is for as well as how you would go about drawing the diagram

i understand that the LDR is an input sensor which converts light into resistance - so the red light should have the highest resistance as it has the longest wave lengh?

i was also wondering where u would connect the LDR if it is to measure light does it have to be infront of the light

i think these are really stupid questions sorry but i would be grateful if you could help me
thanks

hye sorry just though of another question - how do u meausre the light intensity by using a mmeter >? sorry for asking so many questions :P

getting an exact reading of light intensity, is too complex for this level.

Substitute light intensity for current, as they are both affected by resistance in the same way. As resistance increases, it means that light intensity will be decreasing, and so will the current.

hey the paper I am doing is this:

Special lamps may be purchased to help plants grow indoors. These lamps produce light with wavelengths comparable to natural sunlight. A manufacturer wishes to check these lamps by measuring the out put of the lamp at different wavelengths.

The above is the scenario given

You are required to design a laboratory experiment using a light dependant resistor (LDR) to investigate how the intensity of light emitted by a lamp varies with wavelength.

The requirement of what i need to do above

A diagram of the arrangement of your apparatus, and in your account you should pay particular atttention to

a. the procedure to be followed
b. how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined
c. how a measure of the intensity can be obtained from the LDR.
d. the range and precision of any instruments that would be used
e. the factors that would need to be controlled to ensure that it is a valid test
f any safety precautions you would take when carrying out the investigation
g particular features of the design that would ensure the accuarcy and reliability of your results.

i was woundering if anyone had any ideas about (c) and (f)

thanks

I'm going to put something ridiculous for saftey precautions like the bulb gets hot so I wouldn't touch it. They liked basic things at GCSE so hopefully they will again...
What sort of results are we supposed to get? What are your predictions? And have any of you done a preliminary?
Thanks

I should think that for the intensity for question C it depends on the lamp in use, if using a filament lamp like i am then the emmission spectrum is like the blackbody radiation curve (the link was pasted earlier on).
would anyone know the factors to be controlled...?
thanks!

For e) I put that the bulb must be kept the same distance away from the LDR at all times. And that the filters must be the same as the colour of the wavelength measured. (Do you measure the wavelength using the filters, or just a diffraction grating?)
What about d) and g) Can you help?
Thanks.

oooooooooooooooooooooh I am using different filters - as they tell you the wavelengh -n saves me doing all the work hehe - I am also using a light sensor which will tell the ligh intensity and measuring the resistance over the LDR- but how do you relate the resistance to the intensity - is it by the graphs you would draw up e.g
resistance in the graph so we could compare how the higher the wavelength the lower resistance which increases the intensity

i think :s
but how would this answer c - as tech u wouldn't be measuring the intensity obtained from the LDR it would be the resistance

any ideas ?? :D

for g - if you was using the filters u could make it acurate by testing the wavelegh of trhe lights so that u could say that ur tested wavelenghts are close to those values for each colour

and about d i would pesume that the precison of the instruments is your error % maybe . the range tho - u recon that means what sort of range you would use on your ohm meter if u was to measure resistance over the LDR?

Megegg, I was thinking of doing a very similar setup, only I'm going to use a potential divider, and work out the voltage over the LDR. My idea is that V out should decrease, as the light is shone onto the LDR. Only problem is, I can't see how I can draw a graph as the filters won't give a specific wavelength, only a range, for example violet has a wavelength range of 380–450 nm. The prism setup would give the same problem.

hey I am confused on part b...how the wavelength of the light falling on the LDR is determined...as if u r using a diffraction grating or prism how do u know??
sorrel

mr kipling - it won't give u the wavelengh - but it will give u the angle - meaning u can work oyut the wavelngh from ur angle - don't know how tho -

sorrel - I am using coloured filters - which give the value of the colour - so u know the wavelngh u r using

I've found a website that gives actual values for each wavelength of coloured light. I was also wondering if the filter could come supplied with a wavelength. So I think I'll use this to draw a graph of voltage against wavelength, as with my circuit, voltage should go down as the intensity is increased.

http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html"

Last edited by a moderator: