Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionic Capacitor?

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi All,

Here is my first question: (according to the picture)
    A vat is filled with water and ions. The vat contains two compartments separated with a thin layer (green) (50 nanometer).

On a side there is p1 (positive ions) and n1 negative ones,
    the other side contains p2 and n2 ions.

1/ first hypothesis
    n1 = n2, p1 > p2

Is there a "capacitive" effect around the layer? (In other hands, does some ions move or are attracted because the ionic imbalance)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi,

Maybe the question was unclear? :confused:
    I just want to know, because there is an ionic imbalance between the two sides if some ions are moving towards the "barrier"/layer? Are the n2 ions attracted closer to the layer?

Thanks in advance.

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi all,

:redface: Is there a physicist out there? :redface:

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4
    Yes, you have analyzed the situation correctly. In thermodynamics, this is called chemical or electrochemical potential.

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

somasimple

Gold Member

Many thanks! :smile:

7. Sep 14, 2005 #6
    you msut also consider that there will be a barrier of sorts made in the middle, it will be called a depletion region common in semiconductors of today, anyway... this will have a charge potential built across the barrier, ie. from one side of tank to the other, this potential is what gives the voltage drop for the circuit. then apply some resistance fromt he leads coming out form the top of the tank, and you have your current.

8. Sep 14, 2005 #7

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi,

I have some hard to follow your explanation. :confused:
    1/ The vat is filled with electrolytes. Im' not sure there is semiconductor effect there?
    2/ In the first step of my experience, there is no wires and no electrical circuit.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?