1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IR and UV absorption of materials

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I am looking for easy to obtain materials, preferably in powder form, with good absorbance at 808nm, 365 nm and 404 nm each (either one material for each wavelength or one for all three).However I cant seem to find absorbance charts. Does anyone have any idea either on which material to use or on the whereabouts of a good collection of absorbance charts?

Best Regards,

George

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The optical properties of a powder can be much different than a homogenous bulk sample- for example, a sheet of glass is transparent, but glass powder (or ground glass surfaces) are highly scattering.

you may find some useful information here: http://refractiveindex.info/

What is your application?

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Carbon black (soot) is pretty good at all of these wavelengths.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4
    @ Andy

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of that, I just thought I would choose the material that comes first amongst others in my spec AND can be acquired in powder form. RefractiveIndex doesnt cite absorption spectra as far as I know. I thought I could use transmissive spectra in a reverse manner if I can acount for reflection. My application is to remotely heat up a gel using one of these wavelengths and I need to the powder to make sure the beam is absorbed.

@UltrafastPED thank you, I will try that.

6. Mar 7, 2014 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Mar 8, 2014 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

If you are after sharp absorption lines, you should have a look at the absorption spectra of rare earth compounds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook