Clear chemical or material that will absorb or deflect IR?

In summary, a material that would absorb or deflect IR would be ideal. A material that is clear or mostly see-through would be best.
Jirby
Hello All,

I'm curious if there is some chemical or clear / semi-clear material that will absorb or deflect infra red light in the 890 - 910 nm range.

IR absorption would be ideal, but deflection should work as well.
The idea is to prevent reflection of IR back to it's source.

I hope this isn't too vague/broad of a question.
Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Jirby said:
The idea is to prevent reflection of IR back to it's source.
Reflection off of what? What is the IR being directed toward?

Simple window glass generally does not pass IR wavelengths...

Likes Jirby and russ_watters
Reflection off of what? What is the IR being directed toward?

Consider a stationary source emitting pulses of IR towards a metal or plastic object, with the intention of determining the distance between the source and target object.
In this case, distance is calculated by measuring the time it takes for a pulse to travel to the target and reflect back to the source.
The IR pulse would have a wavelength in the 890 - 910 nm range.
I'm wondering if there is an existing chemical or compound, with which one could coat the target object, or a material that could cover the target object that would absorb the incoming pulse or deflect it away from its source; effectively preventing the distance calculation.
Preferably this compound or material would be clear or at least mostly see-through.

anorlunda said:
Thank you for the links. I'd actually already looked at 2 of these before i posted, but they didn't have the answers I was looking for.
Perhaps I didn't sate my question with enough detail. I provided more info in a reply to Berkeman below.
Cheers!

1. What is the purpose of a clear chemical or material that absorbs or deflects IR?

A clear chemical or material that absorbs or deflects IR is used to block or reduce the amount of infrared radiation that passes through it. This can be useful for various applications, such as thermal insulation or protection against heat and UV rays.

2. How does a clear material absorb or deflect IR?

A clear material can absorb or deflect IR through various mechanisms, such as reflection, absorption, or scattering. Some materials may have specific properties that allow them to selectively absorb or reflect certain wavelengths of IR, while others may have a broad range of absorption or reflection capabilities.

3. What types of materials can be used to absorb or deflect IR?

There are various types of materials that can be used to absorb or deflect IR, including metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. The specific properties and composition of these materials determine their effectiveness in absorbing or deflecting IR.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using a clear material that absorbs or deflects IR?

While there are no major risks associated with using a clear material that absorbs or deflects IR, some materials may have limited durability or may require special handling or maintenance. It is important to carefully consider the properties and potential risks of a material before using it for a specific application.

5. Can a clear material that absorbs or deflects IR be used in everyday products?

Yes, there are many everyday products that use clear materials to absorb or deflect IR, such as sunglasses, thermal insulation, and protective coatings for electronic devices. These materials have been extensively researched and developed to ensure their safety and effectiveness for everyday use.