1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IR Transparent Projection Screen?

1. Nov 11, 2010 #1
    Hello,

Is there such a thing as a projection screen that is transparent to IR? I need to project an image onto a screen (rear-projection), but I also need to send an IR signal through the screen from the side of the human user back to the side with the projector. I think there are metals/metalloids with this property, but those materials obviously don't make good projection screens. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2010 #2
    If you are rear projecting you need a transparent screen anyway - something like frosted glass or plastic

IR remotes are generally around 780-820nm so only 'slightly-infra' red, pretty much anything that transmits red light will also transmit theis level of IR

4. Nov 12, 2010 #3
    I have been informed that the wavelength emitted by the IR LEDs is approximately 950 nm. Does this change things? I would prefer not to let red through if possible.

5. Nov 14, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook