IR Transparent Projection Screen?

• Thread starter Philmac
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

Is there such a thing as a projection screen that is transparent to IR? I need to project an image onto a screen (rear-projection), but I also need to send an IR signal through the screen from the side of the human user back to the side with the projector. I think there are metals/metalloids with this property, but those materials obviously don't make good projection screens. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

Answers and Replies

If you are rear projecting you need a transparent screen anyway - something like frosted glass or plastic

IR remotes are generally around 780-820nm so only 'slightly-infra' red, pretty much anything that transmits red light will also transmit theis level of IR

If you are rear projecting you need a transparent screen anyway - something like frosted glass or plastic

IR remotes are generally around 780-820nm so only 'slightly-infra' red, pretty much anything that transmits red light will also transmit theis level of IR
I have been informed that the wavelength emitted by the IR LEDs is approximately 950 nm. Does this change things? I would prefer not to let red through if possible.