1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrationality of Difference of two numbers

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Proof of Irrationality

How can I prove that the square root of 8 minus the square root of 3 is an irrational number using the fact that the square root of 3 is an irrational number? I know I need to use a proof by contradiction, but I am stuck after that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sqrt{8}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is an irrational number.
    Use the fact that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is an irrational number to prove the following theorem.

2. Relevant equations
    A rational number can be written in the form [tex]\frac{p}{q}[/tex] where p and q are integers in lowest terms.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to use a proof by contradiction to solve this problem. Therefore, we would assume that [tex]\sqrt{8}[/tex]-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is an rational number and that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is an irrational number and try and reason to a contradiction. I am stuck and don't know how to get to the contradiction.
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    well it's actually asking to prove that
    is irrational.
    assume it equals p/q where (p,q)=1
    then multiply by sqrt(8)-sqrt(3)
    youll get that sqrt(8)-sqrt(3)=5q/p
    and you also have sqrt(8)+sqrt(3)=p/q
    so you get that 4sqrt(2)=5q/p+p/q
    which yields: sqrt(2)=(5q/p+p/q)/4 which is a contradiction.
    you could have easily have done it with sqrt(3) instead but it doesnt matter.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  5. Nov 16, 2007 #4
    well, i had mistaken sqrt(8)-sqrt(3) with sqrt(8)+sqrt(3) but it doenst matter the same idea will work as well as in this case.
  6. Nov 16, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose that it is, then this implies that the square root of 8 is what?
  7. Nov 16, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to add something to review my number theory.Another idea:

I think a nice general result is that for x a pos. integer, sqr(x) is rational iff x is a perfect square (an integer, of course). Think x=a^2/b^2 , so a^2x=b^2 . Then think of what the factorization of x needs to satisfy in order for a^2x to be a perfect square.

x=p_1^e_1...p_ne^n .

Then , re your problem, think of what happens when you square your expression.
  8. Nov 17, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I believe this is the third time you have posted this same question in a separate thread!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?