1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible polynomial in extension field

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]p\in\mathbb{Q}[x][/tex] be an irreducible polynomial. Suppose K is an extension field of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] that contains a root [tex]\alpha[/tex] of p such that [tex]p(\alpha^2)=0[/tex]. Prove that p splits in K[x].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking contradiction, but if p does not split in K, the only logical conclusion I can come to is that there is an extension field L[x] such that p splits and [tex]K[x] \subseteq L[x][/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2
    I have some thoughts but they are not complete. By some theorem, Q(alpha) is isomorphic to Q[x]/<p(x)>. Use this to show p(x^2)=p(x)q(x) (assume WLOG that p is monic if you want).

Now show p(alpha^4)=0. In fact, alpha^{power of 2} is a root of p. All these powers of alpha can't be distinct. Obtain that alpha is a root of unity.

Here is where my gut tells me you can conclude p is a cyclotomic polynomial, but I don't know enough about them to prove that myself.

4. May 9, 2009 #3
    Nice work, Billy Bob! You're essentially done. Since f is irreducible in [tex] \mathbb{Q}[x] [/tex], f is the minimal polynomial of [tex] \alpha [/tex]. However, [tex] \alpha [/tex] is a root of unity, so the minimal polynomial is, by definition, some cyclotomic polynomial [tex] \Phi_k [/tex] for some k. Thus, [tex] f = \Phi_k [/tex] (without loss of generality, f is monic), so the roots of f are just [tex] \alpha, \alpha^2, \alpha^3, \ldots [/tex]. In particular, f splits in [tex] \mathbb{Q}(\alpha)[x] \subseteq K[x] [/tex].

5. May 10, 2009 #4
    I see all of it, except the logic you use to conclude that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a primitive root of unity. My thought is because p(x) is irreducible and [tex]\alpha, \alpha^2, \alpha^3, \ldots [/tex] are all roots of it, then [tex] \alpha =\alpha^2 =\alpha^3 =\ldots =1[/tex] implying that [tex]\alpha [/tex] is a root of unity.

Any thoughts?

6. May 10, 2009 #5
    If [tex] \alpha [/tex] is a primitive [tex] s [/tex]th root of unity, then [tex] \alpha = e^{2 \pi r/s} [/tex] for some [tex] r [/tex]. We can rewrite this as [tex] \alpha = e^{2 \pi t/n} [/tex], where [tex] \textrm{gcd}(t,n) = 1[/tex]. In other words, every [tex] s [/tex]th root of unity is a primitive [tex] n [/tex]th root of unity for some [tex] n [/tex], so its minimal polynomial is cyclotomic.

7. May 10, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An easier way to carry out Billy Bob's plan:

If E is the splitting field of p, then there is an element of Gal(E/Q) that, among other things, sends alpha to alpha^2. Where does it send alpha^2?

8. May 10, 2009 #7
    [tex]\alpha, \alpha^2, \alpha^4, \alpha^8, \alpha^{16} \ldots [/tex] are all roots, but maybe not [tex]\alpha^3[/tex] etc. The point is, there can't be infinitely many roots, so [tex]\alpha^i=\alpha^j[/tex] for some i not equal to j. Now an example will give you an idea for how to handle the general case. If [tex]\alpha^8=\alpha^2[/tex], then [tex]\alpha^8-\alpha^2=0[/tex], then [tex]\alpha^6-1=0[/tex], so alpha is a sixth root of unity.

Thanks VKint and Hurkyl for helping me out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook