1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible polynomials

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    If i have to show a polynomial x^2+1 is irreduceable over the integers, is it enough to show that X^2 + 1 can only be factored into (x-i)(x+i), therefore has no roots in the integers, and is subsequently irreduceable?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Irreduceable polynomials

I wouldn't drag imaginary numbers into this. If x^2+1 is reducible over the integers then it would split into two linear factors with integer coefficients. Can you argue why that can't happen?

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    Re: Irreduceable polynomials

is it because x^2+1 has no real solutions?

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, because the problem said "irreduceable over the integers", it is because there are no integers satisfying [itex]x^2+1= 0[/itex]. Of course, since the integers are a subset of the real numbers yours is a sufficient answer. But your teacher might call your attention to the difference by (on a test, perhaps) asking you to show that [itex]x^2- 2[/itex] is irreduceable over the integers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook