Is a^2+c Always a Prime Number Under Certain Conditions?

So your condition does not seem to hold in general.In summary, the conversation revolves around the conditions for a^2+c to be a prime number, given the conditions that a is even and c is odd (or vice versa), a and c are not multiples of the same number, and c is not a negative square of any number. It is also discussed that every integer can be expressed as a unique combination of 1, 2, and other powers of 2, and that each power of 2 is used only once. However, adding a condition that a^2-c should not be divisible by a-c does not necessarily satisfy the conditions for a prime number.
shivakumar06
dear sir, i wish to know if i am correct. a^2+c can be a prime number provided if a is even then c is odd or vice versa, also a and c are not multiple of same number. and c is not a negative square of any number. finally prime number is unique combination of 1,2,and other powers of 2. each power of two is used only once. i wish to know if prime number is bound by it
thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have shown more than those are odd numbers. Showing that a number can be prime, because it's odd, is not terribly useful. For a = 3 and b = 2, you getg 11, which is prime. For a = 5 and b = 2 you get 27, which is not.

I don't understand your last two sentences.

shivakumar06 said:
finally prime number is unique combination of 1,2,and other powers of 2
Every integer can be expressed this way. It's the binary or 2-adic representation. (I assume you are talking about integers, although it is not quite clear to me, since you just say "numbers" and "negative squares".)
each power of two is used only once. i wish to know if prime number is bound by it
thank you
If you mean "once and only once" by "only once" it is wrong for ##1+2+4+8 = 15##.
If you mean "at most once" by "only once" it is wrong since all integers have such a representation.
So the final answer to your question seems to be: No.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think you have shown more than those are odd numbers. Showing that a number can be prime, because it's odd, is not terribly useful. For a = 3 and b = 2, you getg 11, which is prime. For a = 5 and b = 2 you get 27, which is not.

I don't understand your last two sentences.
sir if we add a condition that a^2-c should not be divisible a-c. will this satisfy condition for prime number?

What about ##a = 12## , ##c = 25## ? ##a## is even, ##c## is odd, they don 't have a common divisor, ## a - c = -13 ## does not divide ## a^2 -c = 144 - 25 = 119 = 7 * 17## and ##a^2 + c = 144 + 25 = 13^2## is not prime.

Related to Is a^2+c Always a Prime Number Under Certain Conditions?

What is the formula for prime numbers?

The formula for prime numbers is n^2 + n + 41, also known as Euler's prime-generating polynomial. However, this formula only works for values of n between 0 and 40.

Can the formula for prime numbers be used to find all prime numbers?

No, the formula for prime numbers can only generate some prime numbers. It is not a reliable method for finding all prime numbers as it has limitations and can produce non-prime numbers as well.

Why is there no universal formula for prime numbers?

The reason there is no universal formula for prime numbers is because prime numbers do not follow a specific pattern or sequence. They are unpredictable and can only be determined through a process of trial and error.

Are there any other known formulas for prime numbers?

Yes, there are other known formulas for prime numbers such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes, the Sieve of Atkin, and the Lucas-Lehmer primality test. However, these formulas also have limitations and cannot be used to find all prime numbers.

Is it possible to find a formula that can generate all prime numbers?

No, it is not possible to find a formula that can generate all prime numbers. This has been proven by mathematicians through various theorems and proofs. Prime numbers are inherently unpredictable and cannot be generated through a single formula.