Is A^2 equivalent to AxA or all the elements of A are squared?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
mathmathmad
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I was just wondering if say A is a 2x2 matrix. Is A^2 equivalent to AxA or all the elements of A are squared?

Homework Equations


let A and B be 2x2 matrices. is the following true?
(A-B)(A+B) = A^2 - B^2


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org


For 1: Raising a square matrix to a positive integer power is defined exactly as it is for numbers: [tex]a^2[/tex] is short-hand for the product of [tex]a[/tex] with itself.

For 2: The rule [tex](A-B)(A+B) = A^2 - B^2[/tex] is true for numbers because multiplication of reals is commutative. FOIL out the left side, and look for the spot where that property is used for real numbers in order to get to [tex]A^2 - B^2[/tex]. Is the corresponding statement true for matrix multiplication?
 


mathmathmad said:
does that mean A^2 = AxA?
erm.. yes?
Yes, A^2= A*A.

No, (A- B)(A+ B) is not equal to A^2- B^2. It is equal to A^2+ AB- BA- B^2 but the AB and BA do not cancel because matrix multiplication is not commutative.
 


ahh I see :)
I canceled out AB-BA ignoring the fact that matrix multiplication is not commutative
thanks!

then I suppose (A-I)(A^2 + A + I) = A^3 - I is true?

attempt : expand LHS

= A^3 + A^2 + A - IA^2 - IA - I^2
= A^3 + A^2 + A - A^2 - A - I
= A^3 - I (since I^2 would be I right?)
 
Last edited: