1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is A^2 equivalent to AxA or all the elements of A are squared?

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was just wondering if say A is a 2x2 matrix. Is A^2 equivalent to AxA or all the elements of A are squared?

2. Relevant equations
    let A and B be 2x2 matrices. is the following true?
    (A-B)(A+B) = A^2 - B^2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Re: matrices

For 1: Raising a square matrix to a positive integer power is defined exactly as it is for numbers: [tex] a^2 [/tex] is short-hand for the product of [tex] a [/tex] with itself.

For 2: The rule [tex] (A-B)(A+B) = A^2 - B^2 [/tex] is true for numbers because multiplication of reals is commutative. FOIL out the left side, and look for the spot where that property is used for real numbers in order to get to [tex] A^2 - B^2 [/tex]. Is the corresponding statement true for matrix multiplication?

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3

does that mean A^2 = AxA?
    erm.. yes?

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4

Yes, A2=AxA

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, A^2= A*A.

No, (A- B)(A+ B) is not equal to A^2- B^2. It is equal to A^2+ AB- BA- B^2 but the AB and BA do not cancel because matrix multiplication is not commutative.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6

ahh I see :)
    I cancelled out AB-BA ignoring the fact that matrix multiplication is not commutative
    thanks!

then I suppose (A-I)(A^2 + A + I) = A^3 - I is true?

attempt : expand LHS

= A^3 + A^2 + A - IA^2 - IA - I^2
    = A^3 + A^2 + A - A^2 - A - I
    = A^3 - I (since I^2 would be I right?)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook