Is a Dream Considered an Object in Terms of Space and Time?

• Thread starter yinyinwang
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object and whether a dream can be considered an object. The participants debate the definition of an object, with some arguing that a dream does not fit the definition due to its lack of tangible substance. Others argue that a dream can be considered an object if it is defined as a process or evolving relationship among things. The conversation also touches on the idea of a dream being a projection, similar to a movie, and whether that would make it an object. Ultimately, the participants agree that the definition of an object needs to be clarified before determining if a dream can be considered one.
Originally posted by yinyinwang
when i try to define the concept of object, i mean the philosophical sense of the word, not the general language usage, a very presise, clearly,logically defined, which means the clear connotation and extension.

Your paragraph is full of contradictions.

First, what is the "philosophical sense" of the term object? There is no "object" philosophy I've ever heard of.

Next you say you don't want a language meaning, but then ask for a precise, clear, logically defined term. Well, that is how language operates, not philosophy which is seldom so clear or defined.

Finally, after asking for preciseness and definitiveness, you demand "connotation and extension"! To connote and extend is exactly the opposite of precise and defined, so I don't think you are helping this discussion by your latest input.

If you think there is a philosophical issue with the meaning of "object," then please lay it out for us so the rest of us can understand what it is. Nothing you've said so far indicates to me that you are asking anything other than a language question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by LW Sleeth
Your paragraph is full of contradictions.

First, what is the "philosophical sense" of the term object? There is no "object" philosophy I've ever heard of.
Well, there always a first time for every thing.

Next you say you don't want a language meaning, but then ask for a precise, clear, logically defined term. Well, that is how language operates, not philosophy which is seldom so clear or defined.[/B]
i want a newly defined meaning of language because the old ones are not satisfactory.

Finally, after asking for preciseness and definitiveness, you demand "connotation and extension"! To connote and extend is exactly the opposite of precise and defined, so I don't think you are helping this discussion by your latest input.[/B]
Please explain why "To connote and extend is exactly the opposite of precise and defined, "

If you think there is a philosophical issue with the meaning of "object," then please lay it out for us so the rest of us can understand what it is. Nothing you've said so far indicates to me that you are asking anything other than a language question. [/B]

i am still working on this and i will let you know as soon as i get it.

an object is associated with timing or existing within a spand or interval of time. It is also related to space,should an object occupy some amount of space?