Is a Gundam Considered a Robot?

• Thread starter smthn2pndr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the term "robot" has evolved in its definition and can now be used to describe a variety of autonomous machines, including piloted ones such as Gundams. However, some may argue that a true robot is purely autonomous and created through non-biological means. Ultimately, the term is subjective and can be used in various contexts.
smthn2pndr
I'm debating with a friend of mine whether or not the term "robot" can be used to describe the large bipedal machines known as Gundams from the franchise of the same name. He's insisting that a robot cannot be something piloted, that a robot is purely something automated or remotely controlled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Words have many definitions. The only way to avoid is to specify which definition you are using.

Robot used to have a very narrow definition of an autonomous mechanical device, but the term has changed in its application.

Your friend needs to accept this. If he wants to talk about autonomous robots, he should specify autonomous robots.

smthn2pndr said:
I'm debating with a friend of mine whether or not the term "robot" can be used to describe the large bipedal machines known as Gundams from the franchise of the same name. He's insisting that a robot cannot be something piloted, that a robot is purely something automated or remotely controlled.

http://www.usfirst.org/

Technically it is a suit, more like a Mech. I suppose the Mech can perform robot like actions.

I agree, it can perform actions of a robot, etc..., such as telling you points on the suit where it is damaged. But it is as much of a robot as a car today is a robot, or your body a robot (we have pain that indicates to us where points of injury are located).

"DRAGON RUNNER is a backpackable multi-terrain robot capable of detecting a variety of devices without putting the operator in harm's way" - from the British Ministry of Defence website. It's a robot but it's operated. Yeah I do wonder what makes these things robots. Really it should have a narrow definition, an autonomous machine made through non biological means maybe?

A gundam is a robot in the sense that you can say "Mobile Suit Gundam has awesome giant robot battles in it" and no one would try to correct you unless they were *trying* to be annoying.

But it's not really a robot, ofc, it's a mecha. A mecha is a big mechanical humanoid thing that is controlled by a pilot. Or well, it doesn't have to be purely mechanical because, for instance, Evangelion has mecha in it but those are biological/cybernetic or whatever.

1. What is a Gundam?

A Gundam is a type of fictional, humanoid robot or mobile suit featured in the Japanese science fiction franchise created by Yoshiyuki Tomino and Sunrise. It was first introduced in the 1979 anime series "Mobile Suit Gundam."

2. Is a Gundam considered a robot?

Yes, a Gundam is considered a robot as it is a machine that is capable of movement and is designed to resemble and function like a human. It is also commonly referred to as a "mecha" or "mobile suit."

3. How does a Gundam work?

A Gundam is powered by a fusion reactor, which generates high levels of energy to power its various systems. It is controlled by a pilot who uses a cockpit located in the Gundam's chest area. The Gundam also has a variety of weapons and special abilities, depending on its design.

4. Are Gundams real?

No, Gundams are not real. They are fictional creations in the world of science fiction and do not exist in real life. However, there have been attempts to create functional replicas of Gundams for entertainment or promotional purposes.

5. What makes a Gundam different from other robots?

Gundams are typically larger and more advanced than other robots in the Gundam franchise. They are also equipped with advanced technology and weapons, making them highly versatile and adaptable in combat. In addition, Gundams often have a unique design and color scheme, making them easily recognizable.