Is a^i a Generator of F_q If and Only If i and q-1 Are Relatively Prime?

This subgroup has order q-1.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a^i is a generator if and only if i and q-1 are relatively prime. This is based on the definitions of a generator of F_q and relatively prime numbers, as well as Fermat's theorem. The solution involves considering the subgroup generated by a^i, which has an order of q-1.
rad0786

Homework Statement

Let a be a generator of [tex]F_q[/tex]

Prove that [tex]a^i[/tex] is a generator if & only if [tex]i[/tex] and [tex]q-1[/tex] are relatively prime.

Homework Equations

a is a generator of [tex]F_q[/tex] means that a^(q-1) = 1 and [tex]a^i[/tex] cannot be 1 for all i not q-1.

relatively prime means that [tex]gcd(i,q-1)[/tex]=1

fermats theorem says that: a^(p-1) = 1 (mod p ) where p is prime

The Attempt at a Solution

=>
Suppose that [tex]a^i[/tex] is a generator of [tex]F_q[/tex]. then a^(i(q-1)) =1 (mod q)

so by fermats theorem, gcd(i, q-1) = 1?

How does that sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the subgroup generated by a^i.

Related to Is a^i a Generator of F_q If and Only If i and q-1 Are Relatively Prime?

1. What is a generator in number theory?

A generator, also known as a primitive root, is an integer that, when raised to different powers, produces a set of numbers that are all relatively prime to a given modulus.

2. How is a generator used in modular arithmetic?

A generator is used to create a cyclic group in modular arithmetic, which is a set of numbers that, when multiplied by the generator, produce all possible remainders when divided by a given modulus.

3. How do you find a generator for a given modulus?

Finding a generator for a given modulus is a complex mathematical problem that involves using algorithms such as the primitive root test or the index-calculus method. It also requires a thorough understanding of number theory and modular arithmetic.

4. What is the significance of generators in cryptography?

Generators play a crucial role in cryptography as they are used to create the keys and random numbers necessary for secure encryption and decryption. They also help in generating large prime numbers, which are essential for many cryptographic algorithms.

5. Can a number have more than one generator?

Yes, some numbers have multiple generators, while others have none. The existence of a generator for a given modulus depends on the properties of the modulus itself, such as its prime factorization and the values of its Euler's totient function.