Is a Mixture of Three Chemical Solutions a Group?

• MHB
  • Thread starter poissonspot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a mixture of three chemical solutions (salt water, salt water with sodium hydroxide, and salt water with HCl) can be considered a group based on certain properties. However, it is determined that this is not the case, as the elements do not satisfy the associative property and are not isomorphic to Z3. The possibility of considering concentration is briefly mentioned, but it is ultimately concluded that the structure is not a group.
poissonspot
Would it be correct to call mixture of three chemical solutions, namely salt water, salt water with sodium hydroxide, and salt water with HCl, a group? As I understand this, (which is not entirely realistic) mixture of solutions is associative and closed, salt water would be the identity which is yielded from the mixture of the NaOH solution and HCl solution, assuming that all of the NaOH and HCl react to yield NaCl. The only reason I ask, is because mixing a solution with itself yields the same solution, and this is different from other groups like Z3. In the definition of a group I notice that the identity must hold for all elements and since this is not the case and the elements are not simply trivial copies of another, I would say there is only one identity. However, I am still hesitant to accept this example. Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
conscipost said:
Would it be correct to call mixture of three chemical solutions, namely salt water, salt water with sodium hydroxide, and salt water with HCl, a group? As I understand this, (which is not entirely realistic) mixture of solutions is associative and closed, salt water would be the identity which is yielded from the mixture of the NaOH solution and HCl solution, assuming that all of the NaOH and HCl react to yield NaCl. The only reason I ask, is because mixing a solution with itself yields the same solution, and this is different from other groups like Z3. In the definition of a group I notice that the identity must hold for all elements and since this is not the case and the elements are not simply trivial copies of another, I would say there is only one identity. However, I am still hesitant to accept this example. Thanks for any input.

Basically, this questions asks whether 3 elements: a, b, e with the following properties:

a^2=a
b^2=b
e^2=e
ea=ae=a
eb=be=b
ab=ba=e

form a group.

My answer is no, because it is not isomorphic to $Z_3$.

Simpler reason:
(ab)b=eb=b
a(bb)=ab=e
Associative property is not satisfied.

Last edited:
Alexmahone said:
Basically, this questions asks whether 3 elements: a, b, e with the following properties:

a^2=a
b^2=b
e^2=e
ea=ae=a
eb=be=b
ab=ba=e

form a group.

My answer is no, because it is not isomorphic to $Z_3$.

Simpler reason:
(ab)b=eb=b
a(bb)=ab=e
Associative property is not satisfied.

That's true. Thanks for pointing that out.
I suppose at the least it is an interesting counter example.

If concentration was considered I can imagine this situation working though.
So, b+b=2b and a+(2b)=b. This would leave the 3 element structure it has now, and I suppose would be isomorphic to (Z,+) where multiples of a are negative integers and multiples of b positive integers.

Last edited:

Related to Is a Mixture of Three Chemical Solutions a Group?

1. What is a simple group?

A simple group is a mathematical concept defined as a non-trivial group that has no non-trivial normal subgroups. This means that the group cannot be decomposed into smaller groups, making it a fundamental building block of group theory.

2. How is a simple group different from a regular group?

A simple group is different from a regular group in that it cannot be broken down into smaller groups, while a regular group can have normal subgroups. Additionally, simple groups have a very specific and strict set of properties that regular groups may not necessarily have.

3. What are some examples of simple groups?

Some examples of simple groups include the cyclic groups, alternating groups, and some special linear groups. The most well-known example of a simple group is the finite simple group, which has been extensively studied and classified by mathematicians.

4. What is the importance of simple groups in mathematics?

Simple groups play a crucial role in the study of abstract algebra and group theory. They are the basic building blocks for more complex groups and have many applications in fields such as number theory, geometry, and physics. The classification of simple groups is also a major area of research in mathematics.

5. How are simple groups used in real-world applications?

Simple groups have many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computational chemistry. They are also used in the study of symmetry and patterns in nature, and have been applied in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.