White Powder from a Humidifier

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
BillTre said:
The conclusion would seem to be that your residential water supply (presuming that's your source) is not great for some reason.
It's just a little harder than average, but yeah.

BillTre said:
This leaves you with three alternatives:
  1. just put up with it
  2. get your own equipment and make better water
  3. buy better water
----------------------------
Deciding among these requires figuring out how much good water you would need, in order to figure out the costs.
Yeah, I haven't decided yet how much I care, but the numbers are:
  • I use probably half a gallon of water per night. This varies based on the weather of course.
  • Assuming I use it every night for 4 months (I won't), that's 60 gallons for the season.
  • The cheapest store-bought water I'm buying is $1.05 / gal, so that's $63 for the season.
The cost isn't awful, but buying 3 gal of water weekly is a bit of a pain.
BillTre said:
I guess you could also just get a deionizer column and use that.
I am also guessing that these operate similarly to these water purifying devices you can put on a faucet or pour through to fill a container.
Now that's interesting, I hadn't considered that they could be bought/used separate from an RO system. An RO system starts at about $200 and most are meant for whole-house use. I'm just not there yet. Looking around though, I see point-of-use/in-line (hose connected) DI filters, which are advertised for washing cars without leaving spots. They start at about $25.

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander and BillTre
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I used to have one and the cleaning of the caked-on minerals was not fun. Might as well get a chisel out.
Shouldn't vinegar take care of that? Supposed to clean up coffee makers. Not a huge coffee guy so maybe there's something better for that that I am unaware of. I'm not the guy in the household responsible for the most coffee consumption, therefore I'm not the coffee maker cleaner.

Likes Astronuc, russ_watters and Greg Bernhardt
russ_watters said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the white powder a humidifier emits and is it harmful to breathe?

Ultrasonic humidifiers atomize water and inject it into the air, where it evaporates. Anything dissolved in the water precipitates out as a white powder, which is noticeable as dust on surfaces throughout the room, especially near the humidifier. If the output is high enough, it can even form a visible white cloud throughout the room. Obviously that means we breathe it. So the question is, what is it and is it harmful?

For additional context, I bought a PM2.5 detector (2.5 μm and larger particles) after the wildfires last summer. The results are interesting. (Maybe later we can discuss the hazards of gas cooking and microwave popcorn...). Among the results are poor air quality readings in my bedroom with my combination ultrasonic/evaporative humidifier on. This morning in a test it read 160 μg/m3, which is "unhealthy" According to the WHO. It reads in single digit precision and can read as low as 0-1 if the HVAC has been running a while or I'm using my air purifier. Now, of course not all particles are created equal, and this scale was invented to measure particulate air pollution, which is mainly a nasty carbon soot cocktail. But what about what this humidifier is putting out?

I've done some "research" and the results are thin. Sources mainly just say it's the same stuff as in drinking water, so that means it's fine. Be we all know that drinking and breathing it aren't the same. And it may not even be the same chemical in each case. Note, the EPA says research has not found a risk, but a medical case report claims injury to an infant due to sustained exposure.

My tap-water source is very hard (primarily calcium and magnesium), but I use a softener. I don't have any bags of the salt it uses, but google tells me it's sodium chloride - table salt. The softener uses an ion exchange process that removes calcium and magnesium and leaves the sodium. Does the sodium stay dissolved? Pure sodium metal explosively reacts with water to form sodium hydroxide (NaOH). Does this happen just after the ion exchange? These questions are why I put this in the chemistry forum.

An SDS I found for sodium hydroxide lists an inhalation hazard level of 1 mg/m3. An SDS for sodium metal mentions "metal fume fever" as an inhalation hazard, which doesn't sound good, but they don't list concentration guidelines.

Thoughts?

For now I'm running my hated air purifier when the humidifier is on.

What is formed by ion exchange is sodium chloride: Ca(HCO3)2aq + ion exchange NaCl> NaClaq +ion exchange Ca(HCO3)2

Suggests using demineralized water in humidifiers.

Likes Nik_2213
Averagesupernova said:
Shouldn't vinegar take care of that? Supposed to clean up coffee makers. Not a huge coffee guy so maybe there's something better for that that I am unaware of. I'm not the guy in the household responsible for the most coffee consumption, therefore I'm not the coffee maker cleaner.
We've used humidifiers before, and we had the same issue. We did use vinegar to dissolve the salts that accumulated on the surface of ultrasonic transducer window.

Some years ago, we purchased a water distiller/purifier that boils water, which is then condensed and passed through a charcoal filter. The water is mostly demineralized. There is usually some sediment (oxides presumably of Ca, Mg, Na or whatever cations happen to be in our well water - which is treated with a green sand filter and water softener). We use vinegar to dissolve the deposits, which don't amount to much; I found a combination of vinegar with drops of concentrated lemon juice (citric acid) worked very will to dissolve the deposits. We then flush with hot water.

Likes russ_watters, Nik_2213 and Averagesupernova
I've used a variety of vaporizers ranging from heaters to ultrasonic to to simple evaporation (fan blowing air through a constantly wetted filter). They've all had their issues.

I'm going to sound like a shill, but I bought a Vicks vaporizer, and it was a game-changer. My first clue that it was different was that the instructions recommended that a pinch of salt be thrown into the water. It suggested that eventually the product would break in and eventually salt would no longer need to be added, but that's not how it works for me.

Every time I dump out the older water, I add a pinch of salt, or the level of vaporization will be too low. During operation, material from the water (or air passing through) precipitates as detached little white or brown chunks which are easy to discard with the leftover water. If it runs low on water, the level of vaporization slows, and then stops, the unit doesn't overheat.

I still don't know how it works, because it just keeps on working, year after year, with little maintenance, and thus I've never had the need to disassemble it. I've pondered whether it works by electrolysis, but at 60 Hz phasing so that oxygen, hydrogen, or chlorine gas that are made are destroyed when the polarization reverses and the anode becomes the cathode, or vice versa. I don't know if this proves that I'm not a shill, but even though the vaporizer has a little tray to vaporize other Vicks products, I don't use or recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Nik_2213