1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a resistor a dependent source?

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Is a resistor a voltage-controlled current source? WHY?
    I think it is but I don't know whether I'm correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi ethanoic! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Not many people would bestow that title on a humble resistor. A resistor can be used, in conjunction with a voltage source, to approximate a current source providing the voltage across that resistor is held approximately constant, and this condition is usually met by arranging that at all times source voltage ≫ load voltage.

By itself, a resistor is not a source of anything. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    A resistor is a passive element, nothing more or less. It's I-V relation is Ohm's law. A voltage source across it will give a current. A current source across it will give a voltage. A resistor can translate V to I or I to V, either way.

Claude

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Current sources have very high ouput resistance. One way to model a current source is to use a very large value resistor. The down side is you may need a very large voltage source as well.

For example suppose you needed a 1mA current source that operated over the range 0-1V.

If you used a 1000V supply and a 1MOhm resistor then the current would range from...

1000/1000,000 = 1000uA
    to
    (1000-1)/1000,000 = 999uA

which is reasonably constant over the required voltage range!

Even using a 10V source and a 10K Ohm...

10/10,000 = 1000uA
    (10-1)/10,000 = 900uA

Call it 950uA +/- 5%

Within limits the current can be changed by varying the source voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted