Is a resistor a dependent source?

In summary, a resistor by itself is not a source of voltage or current, but it can be used in conjunction with a voltage source to approximate a current source. By arranging for the voltage across the resistor to be held constant, a resistor can provide a relatively stable current. However, in order to create a current source with a smaller output resistance, a larger voltage source may be required.
ch3cooh
Is a resistor a voltage-controlled current source? WHY?
I think it is but I don't know whether I'm correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
ch3cooh said:
Is a resistor a voltage-controlled current source? WHY?
I think it is but I don't know whether I'm correct.

Hi ethanoic! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Not many people would bestow that title on a humble resistor. A resistor can be used, in conjunction with a voltage source, to approximate a current source providing the voltage across that resistor is held approximately constant, and this condition is usually met by arranging that at all times source voltage ≫ load voltage.

By itself, a resistor is not a source of anything. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
A resistor is a passive element, nothing more or less. It's I-V relation is Ohm's law. A voltage source across it will give a current. A current source across it will give a voltage. A resistor can translate V to I or I to V, either way.

Claude

Current sources have very high ouput resistance. One way to model a current source is to use a very large value resistor. The down side is you may need a very large voltage source as well.

For example suppose you needed a 1mA current source that operated over the range 0-1V.

If you used a 1000V supply and a 1MOhm resistor then the current would range from...

1000/1000,000 = 1000uA
to
(1000-1)/1000,000 = 999uA

which is reasonably constant over the required voltage range!

Even using a 10V source and a 10K Ohm...

10/10,000 = 1000uA
(10-1)/10,000 = 900uA

Call it 950uA +/- 5%

Within limits the current can be changed by varying the source voltage.

A resistor is not considered a dependent source. A dependent source is a circuit element whose output is controlled by an external input, such as a voltage or current. A resistor, on the other hand, is a passive element that maintains a constant relationship between voltage and current, regardless of external inputs.

Additionally, a resistor is not a voltage-controlled current source. A voltage-controlled current source is a dependent source where the output current is proportional to an input voltage. A resistor, however, does not have an output current that is dependent on an input voltage. Its output current is solely determined by the voltage and resistance of the circuit.

In summary, a resistor is not a dependent source or a voltage-controlled current source. It is a passive element that maintains a constant relationship between voltage and current.

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an electronic component that is controlled by an external voltage or current. It can be either a voltage-controlled source, where the output voltage is determined by the input voltage, or a current-controlled source, where the output current is determined by the input current.

Is a resistor a dependent source?

No, a resistor is not a dependent source. It is a passive component that opposes the flow of current in a circuit. Its resistance is independent of any external voltage or current.

What are some examples of dependent sources?

Some examples of dependent sources include voltage-controlled voltage sources (VCVS), voltage-controlled current sources (VCCS), current-controlled voltage sources (CCVS), and current-controlled current sources (CCCS).

How are dependent sources represented in circuit diagrams?

Dependent sources are typically represented by diamond-shaped symbols with a label indicating the type of source (e.g. VCVS, VCCS, CCVS, CCCS). The diamond is connected to the rest of the circuit with arrows pointing towards the source, indicating the controlling variable.

Can dependent sources exist in real-world circuits?

Yes, dependent sources can exist in real-world circuits. They are commonly used in electronic devices and systems, and they play an important role in circuit analysis and design.