Is Accredited Distance Learning a Viable Option for High School Students?

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a high school student in Kuwait and is looking for a distance/open-learning institution to fulfill their university requirements. They are wondering if there are any accredited and legitimate online schools that offer advanced courses and are equivalent to a high school diploma. They also ask if it's possible to transfer from a regular high school to a distance learning school mid-year. In response, someone mentions that there are accredited schools, mostly for social sciences, and provides two examples - Walden University and Capella University. However, they note that these schools may be more geared towards graduate programs and their undergraduate programs may not be as reputable.
Pseudo Statistic
Hi,

Right now I'm a high school student in Kuwait. I've been seriously considering finding a distance/open-learning institution to learn from due to my school not satisfying my university's needs. I've been curious as to whether or not there are any good, worthwhile distance learning schools online which are accredited, recognized as legitamite and count as the equivalent of (or perhaps slightly more than the equivalent of, e.g. one that has advanced courses) a high school diploma.
Does anyone know of any? And do these kinds of "schools" allow you to transfer mid-year from a regular high school?

Thanks a lot for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on what you want to study, there are several that are accredited. Mostly social science stuff, but some hard science. However, the better ones seem to be more geared towards grad school. The undergrad programs are a little shady.

Here's the one I work for and our cheif competitor
www.waldenu.edu
www.capella.edu

I can tell you that accredited distance learning is a legitimate and recognized form of education. Many reputable universities and institutions offer distance learning programs that are accredited and recognized by educational bodies. These programs are designed to provide the same level of education and qualifications as traditional on-campus programs. In fact, some distance learning programs may even offer advanced courses that are not available in traditional high schools.

However, it's important to do your research and make sure that the distance learning institution you choose is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency. This will ensure that your diploma or degree will be recognized by other universities and employers. Additionally, it's always a good idea to check with your university or future university to see if they accept credits from the distance learning institution you are considering.

As for transferring mid-year from a regular high school, it ultimately depends on the policies of the distance learning institution and your current high school. Some institutions may allow mid-year transfers, while others may not. It's best to contact the distance learning institution directly to inquire about their transfer policies.

In summary, accredited distance learning can be a great option for those looking for a flexible and recognized form of education. Just make sure to do your research and choose an accredited institution that meets your educational needs. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to Is Accredited Distance Learning a Viable Option for High School Students?

1. What is accredited distance learning?

Accredited distance learning is a form of education where students can earn a degree or certificate through online courses and virtual learning. It is accredited by a recognized accrediting agency, ensuring that the education received is of high quality and meets certain standards.

2. How does accreditation affect distance learning?

Accreditation is important for distance learning because it provides credibility and legitimacy to the education received. It also ensures that the courses and programs offered meet certain quality standards and are recognized by other educational institutions and employers.

3. Can I transfer credits earned through accredited distance learning?

Yes, credits earned through accredited distance learning can typically be transferred to other accredited institutions. However, it is important to check with the specific institution to see their transfer credit policies and requirements.

4. Are there different types of accreditation for distance learning?

Yes, there are different types of accreditation for distance learning, including regional accreditation and national accreditation. Regional accreditation is typically considered the more prestigious and widely recognized type of accreditation.

5. How do I know if a distance learning program is accredited?

You can check the accreditation status of a distance learning program by researching the accrediting agency and checking their list of accredited institutions. You can also look for the accreditation seal or statement on the program's website or contact the institution directly to inquire about their accreditation status.