Is an A- a bad grade for someone with limited math background?

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, In order to be accepted to a math graduate program, the applicant must show academic promise and have taken courses in calculus (I took Calc I-III and Linear Algebra), as well as have a strong interest in the subject. The applicant must also pass a series of exams in calculus and linear algebra.
srfriggen
I will be applying to a master's program for math hoping for acceptance in the Fall 2011. My only math background is Statistics, economic statistics, Calc I, Calc II, Calc III (multivariable), and Linear Algebra, but this Spring I will be taking a class titled "Bridge to Advanced Mathematics", a course focusing on writing and understanding proofs, among other things.

Like many graduate programs for math, the 4 courses I listed above (calc I - III and linear algebra) are enough for acceptance on a conditional basis, provided the student shows academic promise and enthusiasm for the subject (which trust me I do. I think I'm the only one in my class with over 30 square feet of white board in my house!). The condition being that after acceptance I must complete a sequence of advanced calculus (which I supposed is a misnomer, it's more of 1 year of Real Analysis).

I have been in contact with this school since before I took my first went back to undergrad school (I already have a BA in Economics).

This Monday I will be taking finals in Calc III and Linear Algebra. Perhaps this isn't a big deal, perhaps it is, but my grades have been flawless in some of my math classes (highest of the class in two) but I will most likely end up with an A- in Calc III and Linear Algebra.

Question is, is an A- a bad grade considering my limited math background? I won't get into specifics but the reason for the A- was due to a quarter of a semester recovering from mono, 2 grandmothers dying in my family, and my fiance's grandmother dying. So many classes had to be missed, and during the mono phase I just simply couldn't find the strength to study. I'll admit too that another reason for the lower score was due to my own cockiness, since I had done so well on the first tests (I bombed the 2nd calc test with an 80).

I'm sorry this thread was so long but I know on this forum people like to have as much information as they can (i certainly do) before giving a response.

Thank you for reading.

now back to studying.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bad grades are not the end of the world. Especially after a difficult period of your life.

Not to mention, A- is not considered a bad grade anywhere by anyone. I doubt anyone ever cares for the difference between A- and A.

Ok, thank you that's encouraging.

I did the same thing. In calc II, I got a 99 for my first test and then I didn't study very much for my second test and I got an 82.

And No, an A- is not a bad grade. At my university it doesn't matter if you get an A+ or and A-, the transcript only says A. But I don't know how it is at your university.

Got back my grades. Calc III A- and Linear Algebra B+

I'm actually pretty devastated at that B+

I wrote to my professor to ask him if I could see my final exam because I would have had to do terribly on it to get a B+ when the worst I thought I'd get was an A-

This semester with this professor has me now doubting into going back to school for math at all.

At my university you get different point values for +/-. like I think a B+ is a 3.33 or something rather than just a 3.

I wouldn't worry about it. The statement of purpose on the graduate application is there for you to explain the circumstances behind some of your "bad" grades. Also, out of curiosity, would you mind telling me what you were doing between the time you received your BA in economics and when you started going back to school?

snipez90 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. The statement of purpose on the graduate application is there for you to explain the circumstances behind some of your "bad" grades. Also, out of curiosity, would you mind telling me what you were doing between the time you received your BA in economics and when you started going back to school?

I was working at the brokerage firm Merrill Lynch.

If you get rejected from graduate school for one B+, then my hopes of attending grad school are doomed ;)

Honestly, I think you still have an excellent chance of admission, and of being very successful at grad school, at the very least, give it a try! No point in giving up if this is something you want to do.

Related to Is an A- a bad grade for someone with limited math background?

What is the importance of background in statistics?

The background is an essential component of statistics as it provides the context and historical knowledge necessary to interpret and analyze data accurately. It helps researchers understand the underlying factors that may influence the data and make informed decisions based on previous findings and theories.

How can background information affect statistical results?

Background information can significantly impact statistical results by providing valuable insights into the data and its potential limitations. It can also influence the selection of appropriate statistical methods and the interpretation of findings.

What are some common sources of background information in statistics?

Some common sources of background information in statistics include previous studies, literature reviews, expert opinions, historical data, and theoretical frameworks. These sources can provide valuable context and help researchers develop hypotheses and design studies.

Why is it important to consider the background of a study in statistics?

Considering the background of a study in statistics is crucial because it allows researchers to understand the potential biases and limitations of the data. It also helps in identifying gaps in knowledge and informing the development of research questions and hypotheses.

How can researchers ensure the accuracy of background information in statistics?

To ensure the accuracy of background information in statistics, researchers must critically evaluate and verify their sources. They can also consult with experts in the field and use multiple sources to cross-check information. Additionally, transparent reporting and proper citation of sources can help maintain the accuracy and integrity of background information.