Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is an Engineering Educational background required for NASA Astronauts?

Tags:
  1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Hi I will be attending University in the fall to obtain a B.A degree in Astrophysics.

Ever since I was little, I've wanted to be an Astronaut and have loved space, and obviously, still do.

However, I'm a bit worried, it seems that every Astronaut has an engineering College Education.
    What exactly if any engineering education is a requirement or extremely strong preference for NASA when selecting Astronaut candidates?

Also I should add that when I get out of University I have already planned on joining the Air Force, for pilot-in-command hours, so I have that covered already.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, they don't require an engineering background, but it would be helpful.

4. May 14, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Back on topic, the biographies of the current set of ascans are at this page, http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/ascanbio.html. Of the nine, I count four aerospace engineers, three biologists/medical doctors, one systems engineer, and one with a masters in physics. IIRC, there have been a few astronomers and physicists among previous sets of ascans. Based on past selections, NASA definitely prefers degrees in aerospace engineering and the life sciences. Or both. A degree in astrophysics does not rule you out. It apparently does make it a bit tougher.

5. May 14, 2010 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Off-topic discussions have been moved to [thread=403233]this thread[/thread].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook