Is Becoming a Professor in Engineering Easier Than in Pure Sciences?

• Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, becoming a professor in pure sciences such as physics and math is not an easy task. It requires a lot of passion and dedication, as well as making significant sacrifices, due to the high competition for research positions. However, in the field of engineering, there may be more opportunities for becoming a professor due to the higher number of engineering students compared to physics students. It is speculated that the demand for engineering professors may not be as high as for science professors, but this is just a speculation and more information is needed.
thegreenlaser
I've come to understand that becoming a professor in pure sciences like physics and math is not an easy task. The impression I've gotten from reading these forums and talking to profs is that its something you go for if you're really passionate about it, but only if you're really passionate about it because the sacrifice required is huge, and the chances of getting a good position in a reasonable time frame are so low (too many PhD students compared to the number of research positions, etc.) My question is: what about engineering? How difficult is it to become a professor at a university engineering department?

It seems to me that there's far more young engineering profs at my school, and I imagine that's because most engineering students become engineers, leaving less demand for teaching/research positions. Is that accurate in any way?

Physics news on Phys.org
thegreenlaser said:
It seems to me that there's far more young engineering profs at my school, and I imagine that's because most engineering students become engineers, leaving less demand for teaching/research positions. Is that accurate in any way?

That's true, however there are way more engineering students than physics students. I have no data, however, I'd think the odds of becoming an engineering professor is not very good, and perhaps is very similar to becoming a science professor.

I suppose that's true, but would that not increase the demand for faculty members in engineering as well? I'm sure it's not directly proportional, but I would think there are significantly more engineering profs in a given university than there are physics or math profs. Then again, I'm just speculating with only a freshman year's worth of observations to work with. Is there anyone who's gone through that process who would be willing to shed some light on their experiences?

Related to Is Becoming a Professor in Engineering Easier Than in Pure Sciences?

What qualifications do I need to become an engineering professor?

To become an engineering professor, you typically need a PhD in engineering or a related field, along with several years of experience in industry or research.

What skills are important for an engineering professor?

In addition to strong technical knowledge in their field, engineering professors need excellent communication and teaching skills, as well as the ability to conduct research and publish papers.

How do I become a licensed engineering professor?

To become a licensed engineering professor, you will need to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and gain several years of experience as an engineer. You may also need to pass a Principles and Practice of Engineering exam specific to your field.

What job opportunities are available for engineering professors?

Engineering professors can find job opportunities in universities, colleges, and research institutions. They may also work in industry as consultants or researchers.

What is the average salary for an engineering professor?

The average salary for an engineering professor varies depending on experience, location, and institution. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for postsecondary engineering teachers was $96,980 in May 2020.