Is Born's rule really verified?

• B
  • Thread starter Dimosthenis76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    born's rule
In summary, the conversation discusses the verification of Born's rule and the lack of experiments in literature that explicitly test it. However, the interlocutors mention that it has been verified through various experiments and that testing it is a routine practice in labs. One person shares their experience with verifying Born's rule in college and another references a paper that provides a stringent test of the rule. The conversation also touches on the misunderstanding of quantum mechanics and the importance of studying Gleason's Theorem. Overall, the conversation highlights the abundance of evidence supporting Born's rule and the various ways it is tested in experiments.
Dimosthenis76
Hello to everybody

Is really Born's rule verified? I can not find any experiment in bibliography that verifies Born's rule.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dimosthenis76 said:
Is really Born's rule verified? I can not find any experiment in literature that verifies Born's rule.
It has been verified so often and in so many different ways that no one even wastes ink to report that their results are consistent with it - sort of like no one is reporting that dropped objects fall down instead of up. For example, just about every lab exercise that verifies Malus's law for single photons is a test of the Born rule.

When I was in college I spent several days preparing photons in a particular polarization state and then verifying that the Born rule properly predicted their interaction with polarization filters. However, the point of this exercise was not to test the Born rule, the point was to test the proposition "Nugatory is capable of setting up the experimental apparatus competently".

Likes vanhees71, Dale and PeroK
I really would like to see the maths and the corresponding experiment that verifys Born's rule. Newton's laws can easily be verified in any common university's laboratory. It 's not the same.

Here's a very stringent test of the Born Rule:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.08563

There are more recent ones that bound deviations more strongly, but this one is a bit more readable I think.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and Demystifier
I have seen this paper a long time ago. If you want to verify Born's rule, you have to solve Schrodinger's equation and compare the theoritical results with experimental results. This is not happening in that paper.

That's why I believe that Born's rule is not verified and even more that it can not be verified, and there is the point that quantum misunderstanding begins!

Dimosthenis76 said:
Newton's laws can easily be verified in any common university's laboratory.
And so can the Born rule... I just gave you an example from my university laboratory, and the only reason we don't routinely do this in high school labs is because they don't usually have efficient single-photon sources and detectors.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Dimosthenis76 said:
I have seen this paper a long time ago. If you want to verify Born's rule, you have to solve Schrodinger's equation and compare the theoritical results with experimental results. This is not happening in that paper.

That's why I believe that Born's rule is not verified and even more that it can not be verified, and there is the point that quantum misunderstanding begins!
They implement a unitary (several in fact) from a state ##\psi_0## to a state ##\psi_1##, which is evolution under Schrodinger's equation and then perform measurements. What am I missing?

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Dimosthenis76 said:

Back to Newton's Laws, then! Ho hum.

Dimosthenis76 said:

I think you should study Gleason's Theorem:
http://kiko.fysik.su.se/en/thesis/helena-master.pdf

Dimosthenis76 said:
If you want to verify Born's rule, you have to solve Schrodinger's equation and compare the theoritical results with experimental results. This is not happening in that paper.

If Born's Rule is wrong you have non-contextuality. This has been tested (the Kochen-Specker theorem is a simple corollary to Gleason):
http://www.equinoxomega.net/files/studies/quantenphysik_Handout.pdf

No violation of non-contextually has ever been found.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes DanielMB and vanhees71
Dimosthenis76 said:
This is not happening in that paper.
Why do you think so?

And by the way, any quantum interference experiment is a test of the Born rule.

Likes vanhees71
Born's rule gets tested and verified billions of times per second on whatever device you made this post on.

Dimosthenis76 said:
Hello to everybody

Is really Born's rule verified? I can not find any experiment in bibliography that verifies Born's rule.
To test Born's rule you need some hypothesis how it might break down. There were couple of references where higher order interference is tested. Another hypothesis might be that observed frequencies are not from probabilities. Say if I have measurement with outcomes with equal probabilities of 0.5 and 0.5 I should expect that outcome where I get only one outcome 100 times in a row should happen with probability around 1x10^-32. But maybe this probability is exactly 0 i.e. actual frequencies are slightly more deterministic than predicted. This can be tested experimentally.

So what is your hypothesis how Born's rule might break down that you want to see tested?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1107.2138, p. 115 (published in Physics Reports) seems to predict violations of the Born's rule based on an analysis of the measurement process.

akhmeteli said:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1107.2138, p. 115 (published in Physics Reports) seems to predict violations of the Born's rule based on an analysis of the measurement process.

Well then you have proved contextuality. That would mean an immediate Nobel. The fact it has not happened strongly suggests it does not stand up, but I will let those more into experimental physics give their take on the details.

Thanks
Bill

1. Is Born's rule a proven scientific principle?

Yes, Born's rule, also known as the Born interpretation, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and mathematical calculations.

2. Are there any exceptions to Born's rule?

No, Born's rule has been found to hold true in all quantum mechanical systems and has not been disproven or shown to have exceptions.

3. How was Born's rule verified?

Born's rule was first proposed by Max Born in 1926 and has since been verified through numerous experiments, including the famous double-slit experiment, as well as by the consistent results of mathematical calculations based on the rule.

4. Are there any alternative interpretations to Born's rule?

Yes, there are alternative interpretations to Born's rule, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which also explains the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. However, Born's rule remains the most widely accepted and experimentally verified interpretation.

5. Can Born's rule be applied to all physical systems?

No, Born's rule is specific to quantum mechanical systems and cannot be applied to classical physics. It only applies to systems described by wave functions, such as particles at the atomic and subatomic level.