1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is calculus helpful in understanding physics

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    Im taking algebra based physics and i am having a hard time trying to understand some concepts or equations and i heard that calculus is very helpful

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What don't you understand for example?

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3
    I don't really understand how some equations were created or why they work

5. Dec 1, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really need to be a lot more detailed.

6. Dec 1, 2015 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you expect as an answer? Whether calculus is helpful in physics? Yes.

7. Dec 2, 2015 #6
    Calculus is more than helpful, is needed, one of the most basic physics equations that are seen in school come from derivation, such as V=Vo+a*t is a derived equation from
    X=Xo+Vo*t +1/2*a*t^2.
    Calculus works at a more fundamental level than the equations stated above, for every kind of classical motion, it is true that the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity, and the double derivative of the position, so it lets you solve more complicated problems, such as modelling air resistance problems for a falling object.
    But everything is taught in due time, most (if not all) high-schools "rip" calculus out of physics so it doesn't become a math course, they give you a set of equation to work with in very specific cases, and you work them out as you go.
    After this quite extensive answer, yes, calculus is used in every branch of physics, and if you are planning to get a degree in physics, it will be taught in university.

8. Dec 2, 2015 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As has been stated already, I will repeat the clear and unambigous answer to your question in the topic: Calculus is NECESSARY (not just "helpful) in understanding physics.

Have we answered your question?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook