Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is computer compulsory for first year engineering student?

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    I have a desktop with P4 and a gig ram(using right now). I didn't want to take it to my college since it is 1600 KMs from home and carrying a desktop there is follishness(laptop seems to be a better option). So is it mandatory to take computer to college or i can manage even without a computer, I am from India and going to do electrical engineering.
    I shall buy a PC next year, But if it is hardly advised to buy new laptop/desktop then i can request a PC(most probably laptop) to my father else it will be in budget of march/april 2013..

dear mentors if it is in wrong location then displace it..
    thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2
    You can probable get by without a computer for quite some time, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not having the vast amount of information and assistance that a good computer and internet connection in your own home/dorm/apartment can provide.
    If your college/univeristy doesn't have a computer lab open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week then I highly suggest bringing that Desktop to your school and not trying to "get by" without a computer of your own for an entire year.

That is my opinion any way, I'm sure it's *possible* to actually complete an entire program without owning your own computer, but it would be adding more difficulty to an already difficult program!

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know as much about Indian universities, but I bet they have computer labs you can use. I had a computer when I did my degree in the states, but it was a desktop. I never had a laptop until after I graduated.

5. Aug 6, 2012 #4
    Some courses may not need them, but certain math, engineering, and science courses use specialized programs, such as Mathematica or AutoCAD/Autodesk, which may not be available in campus computer labs.

6. Aug 7, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

There may be a society of Indian engineering students, or something like that, where there'd be a forum where you can ask people who are currently studying at the university where you will enroll. You could ask on their forum. Try a google search.

But I would be very surprised if there could be an engineering school where a personal computer wasn't almost mandatory. Some schools might have arranged a deal with a computer company to sell a particular model laptop to enrolled students at a good discount.

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6
    I do agree with NascentOxygen. Engineering students further influence by scientific innovation, so a lot of students must have laptop for convenience and further study without any hassle.

8. Aug 9, 2012 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook