Is Cooper Union's ME program ranked highly among US engineering schools?

• Thread starter camacru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, Cooper Union's mechanical engineering program is highly regarded in the New York City area, but it's reputation beyond NYC is uncertain. The cost of tuition is low and the first year of dorming is free, but after that students must find their own housing. The school is known for its strong education and its students often go on to prestigious universities.
camacru
Is anyone familiar with the mech. eng. program at Cooper Union? Any idea on where the program ranks amongst US engineering schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
I started college there as an EE major many years ago.
After three semesters, however, I decided that I really wanted to be a physics major... and so I left.

It's hard to beat the cost of "tuition".
At the time, there weren't any dorms... so, I commuted by subway from my grandparents' home. I'm not sure how expensive it is to live the dorms.

At the time I was there, I think Cooper had a good reputation in engineering in the New York City area... but I wasn't sure about "beyond NYC".

Some interesting reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/education/09cooper.html?_r=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union

my friend went to the art program there. dorming is free for the first year and after that you have to fend for yourself. expect rent to be about 700$ where ever you go.

from what I've heard/seen cooper union is one of the best non phd granting institutions in the country. it ranks up there with rose hullman and harvey mudd. no matter what the rankings say you will get a phenomenal education there. their students go on to ivy leagues all the time. my friend's friend is going to harvard for a masters in urban planning even though she studied photography at cooper.

go there. it's an amazing opportunity.

Related to Is Cooper Union's ME program ranked highly among US engineering schools?

1. What is the admission process for Cooper Union's ME program?

The admission process for Cooper Union's ME program is highly competitive and selective. Prospective students must submit an online application, transcripts, test scores (SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Additionally, an in-person interview is required for final consideration.

2. What is the curriculum like for Cooper Union's ME program?

The curriculum for Cooper Union's ME program is a combination of theoretical and hands-on learning. Students take courses in mathematics, science, and engineering principles, as well as courses specific to mechanical engineering such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. There are also opportunities for research, internships, and senior design projects.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of Cooper Union's ME program?

Graduates of Cooper Union's ME program have a variety of career opportunities available to them. Many go on to work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, or manufacturing. Others pursue further education in graduate school or research positions. The ME program also has a strong alumni network, providing connections and opportunities for career advancement.

4. Is there a specific GPA requirement for the ME program at Cooper Union?

While there is no specific GPA requirement for admission to the ME program at Cooper Union, the school looks for students who have excelled in challenging coursework. A strong academic record, particularly in math and science courses, is important for successful admission.

5. What sets Cooper Union's ME program apart from other engineering programs?

One of the main things that sets Cooper Union's ME program apart is its small class sizes and hands-on learning opportunities. With a student-to-faculty ratio of 8:1, students have ample opportunities for one-on-one interaction with professors. The ME program also has a strong emphasis on practical applications of engineering, with opportunities for research and real-world projects throughout the curriculum.