1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Is dirac's "The principles of Quantum mech." a good book?

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    I have not read any other QM books,i have little knowledge on that subject and want a books that uses mathematics in academic levels but is easy to get the grips on and also builds intuition and explains the phenomenons in a good manner.I do not want a book that emphasizes on mathematics or intuition alone but something that has it all.I have heard that Dirac's book is a great book but i wanted to know your opinions.Feel free to suggest other books(bear in mind that i have got Griffiths book on QM from the university library).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Mar 21, 2015 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Mar 21, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

I have a copy and from the reviews many people like the treatment. It's not a standard textbook and has more wordy description than math. However. The math is real not watered down to something trivial like popular science might be.

6. Mar 21, 2015 #5
    so,it might be better if i read this first so as to build up intuition and then going for the harder textbooks which have more complex math,right?

7. Mar 21, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Yes, it assumes you can do calculus and differential equations to some extent. The focus of the book was for people long out of school who wish to understand science in a deeper and truer sense.

Susskind has a similar book on classical mechanics that is quite good too and you may want to check it out too.

8. Mar 21, 2015 #7
    I advise to first study the Schrödinger equation.

9. Mar 25, 2015 #8
    I read Dirac and Susskind . Susskind is good for beginners ( I am am still a amatuer) he does everything you should know to get started with QM, that is harmonic oscilators, quantum logic, SE and so on that are all derived so that anyone with a bit of knowledge of calculus can derive. It mostly doesn't get harder than the easyest of differential equations. I didnt much like Dirac and I don't think he is recommendable for beginers of QM.
    But Susskind is a good idea.

10. Mar 25, 2015 #9
    Plus he also has online lectures parrallel to the topics in his books ( I cant say if they are good, because I couldn't be botherd to watch them), the link is in his book but they can also be found at stanford university website.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted