Is ductility associated with the manifestation of yield phenomenon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lestatl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phenomenon Yield
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
lestatl
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody, I have a doubt about a question on my future exam of Materials Science.

Is ductility associated with the manifestation of yield phenomenon?

* TRUE
*FALSE

I have doubts because I think I could answer this question in both ways... Any help will be more than welcome!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org


Well what is the nature of a brittle material.

Ductile implies the ability of a material to deform without failure, i.e. the material can be stretch over a relatively large displacement without a flaw developing, particular one leading to failure/fracture.

Think of the elastic deformation and plastic deformation, and the load-displacement or stress-strain curve.