Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is "energetics" the same as "thermodynamics"?

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    If so, why do people use the word "energetics"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Where did you see the term "energetics" used?

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3

fresh_42

The Wikipedia article on "energetics" states it as a sort of generalization of thermodynamics. However, it is in big need for further contributions and doesn't look very reliable. It doesn't even exist in my language.

5. Jan 4, 2016 #4

Doc Al

Yes, I saw that and dismissed it as junk. "Energetics" might be an old-fashioned term. I've not seen it in any textbook I've used.

6. Jan 4, 2016 #5

fresh_42

It might as well be a very modern term: Googling it gave me a lot of sports wear and related stuff! :smile: But Google is country sensitive ...

7. Jan 5, 2016 #6
    The word "bio-energetics" is used by Nick Lane in his book, "The Vital Question: Why Is Life The Way It Is?", that Bill Gates is reading or has read.

8. Jan 5, 2016 #7
    I think it's because "bio-energetics" doesn't involve heat a lot, which "thermodynamics" seems to imply is the most important form of energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook