Engineering Major for Me: Georgia Tech Insight

• Engineering
  • Thread starter aagnone3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is good at math, enjoys technology and learning about new things, and has a particular interest in computers and automation. They are considering pursuing a major in electrical/computer engineering, but are struggling with electricity concepts in a secondary physics class. They have also considered mechanical or aerospace engineering, but are most interested in computing and automation. The expert recommends considering Applied Mathematics or Computer Science, as intuition can be developed and the ability to ask questions is important for engineering success.
aagnone3
I have always been good at math, and by that I don't just mean high school. I am about to finish Differential Equations with a high A, and all my other classes up until now have been A's. I love technology, and love reading all about new things from things such as TED.com and Popular Science magazines. I have always been fond of computers, and have built several and taken a few programming courses. I know that I want to use math, and I had been thinking of electrical/computer engineering. However, right now I am struggling with electricity concept in my secondary physics class, and I find that it is very difficult and non-intuitive for me. Also, I don't like doing much of the stuff I am learning. I've also considered mechanical or aerospace but my main enjoyment comes from computing and automation-like devices. I love aircraft and space but I hear AE is not all its pent up to be and the jobs are hard to find. Any insight on what major I should pursue. I start at Georgia Tech in the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at what you enjoy the most, not which field has the highest pay or best job prospects, after all, this can change over time. I can't really recommend anything specific based on what you have written, maybe you could consider Applied Mathematics or Computer Science.

I have always considered computer science, but led more engineering because of my interest in math and how things really work under the surface. Electronics is definitely an interest of me, as is aircraft and anything really that is forwarding science and technology. I am just concerned with my slight lack of intuition and proficiency in electricity and magnetism.

The lack of intuition on a particular subject is not an indication that you won't be good at it. I find that often, whenever I lack an intuitive feel for a subject, that the questions I ask are often those that are confounding everyone else.

The thing you need to be concerned about is when you're confounded by the subject and you don't even know what questions to ask that might get you some answers.

Remember, it's not about knowing all the answers, but knowing what the questions are that makes a good engineer.

First of all, congratulations on your academic achievements and your passion for technology! It is clear that you have a strong interest in math and computing, and that is a great foundation for a career in engineering.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems like electrical/computer engineering may be a good fit for you. It combines your love for technology and computing with your strong math skills. However, I understand your concerns about struggling with electricity concepts and not enjoying some of the material in your secondary physics class. These are challenges that many engineering students face, and it is important to remember that engineering is a diverse field with many different areas of specialization. Just because you may struggle with one aspect of it does not mean that you will struggle with all aspects of it.

If you are still hesitant about pursuing electrical/computer engineering, I would suggest exploring other engineering disciplines that also involve technology and computing, such as software engineering or computer science. These may be more focused on programming and software development, rather than the physical concepts of electricity.

In terms of your interest in aerospace, have you considered looking into the field of avionics engineering? This combines your love for aircraft and space with your passion for technology and automation-like devices. It may be a good compromise between your interests and your concerns about job availability in aerospace engineering.

Ultimately, the decision on which major to pursue should be based on your own interests, strengths, and career goals. I would recommend talking to advisors and professors at Georgia Tech, as well as doing some research on the different engineering disciplines, to help you make an informed decision. Best of luck in your studies at Georgia Tech!

1. What is the Georgia Tech Engineering Major Program?

The Georgia Tech Engineering Major Program is a highly reputable and rigorous academic program within the Georgia Institute of Technology. It offers a wide range of engineering majors, including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial, materials, mechanical, and nuclear engineering.

2. What makes Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program stand out?

Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program is known for its hands-on approach to learning and its cutting-edge research opportunities. The program also has partnerships with top industry leaders, providing students with real-world experience and job opportunities upon graduation.

3. Is Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program competitive?

Yes, Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program is highly competitive. The program has a rigorous admissions process, and students are expected to maintain high academic standards throughout their studies. However, the program also offers a supportive and collaborative learning environment.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates of Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program?

Graduates of Georgia Tech's Engineering Major Program are highly sought after by top companies in various industries. The program's strong reputation and emphasis on practical skills make its graduates competitive in the job market. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in engineering or related fields.

5. Are there opportunities for research and internships within the Georgia Tech Engineering Major Program?

Yes, the Georgia Tech Engineering Major Program offers numerous research opportunities, both through coursework and through partnerships with industry and government organizations. The program also encourages students to participate in internships, providing them with valuable experience and connections in their field of interest.