Is Every Algebraic Element of a Field Extension Contained in the Base Field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extension Fields
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
futurebird
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
My notes say:
If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K contained in F.​

But the elements in A need not be in F, right? Shouldn't it be:

If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K contained in K.
​

But I don't see the point of saying that-- if it's a subfield, of course it's in K. Also, I thought that AUF = K ... but that only happens when it is an algebraic extension... right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
futurebird said:
If K is an extension of F then A={a in K | a is algebraic} is a subfield of K containing in F.​
I fixed a probably typo. And I assume you meant "a is algebraic over F"?
 
A={a in K | a is algebraic over F}

Like this, yes.