Is every physical theory non physical

In summary, the author argues that because there are multiple theories about how the universe works, and none of them are complete, there can't be a creator. The argument is formally invalid and unsound.
jk22
I noticed that famous theories have a non physical part in them :

Newtonian instantaneous forces
Quantum particles going faster than the speed of light in schroedinger mechanics.

This contradicts the maybe only physical theory that exists : general relativity.

I thought the following reasoning proves that there cannot be a creator : suppose it creates matter then the space-time would change globally instantaneously which is not physical. Hence there cannot be an act of creation. Except if spacetime is created at one point together with all the matter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jk22 said:
I thought the following reasoning proves that there cannot be a creator
There will never be any "proof" that there was not a creator. You cannot prove a negative. Science rejects the idea of a creator because it cannot be tested, is based on faith rather than evidence, and is unnecessary to explain the universe (and in my personal opinion is just ridiculous anyway).

Likes Independent and AlephNumbers
You cannot even prove that the universe exists. If you want proofs, say with maths : )

That would be contrary to evidence there exists some things

jk22 said:
That would be contrary to evidence there exists some things

But all you've done here is to show that certain things are falsifiable! You haven't proven anything! Read Popper's definition of what "science" should be.

If you really want to do this carefully and intellectually, you need to be aware what the word "proof" means, especially in logic. Otherwise, you are going to use the pedestrian definition of it, which will turn this into a vague, pointless discussion.

Zz.

I've seen some bad philosophy here before - which is why we banned it - but this takes the cake. The argument is "If I take a 300 year theory and an 80 year theory as examples, they are incomplete. Therefore there is no God." I'm sorry, but this is in all seriousness the worst argument I have ever heard. It is formally neither valid nor sound.

A proof is always falsifiable just axioms are not but they can be not admitted. Why because every step in a proof is based on faith in the axioms.

jk22 said:
A proof is always falsifiable just axioms are not but they can be not admitted. Why because every step in a proof is based on faith in the axioms.

But just because you can falsify something, it doesn't mean that what you had just falsified was a proof! That's my point, that what you offered was not a proof! There is no proof in science the same way there are proofs in mathematics! Or are you disputing that?

As I expected, this is going around and around in circles and nowhere fast. There's very little science content here, and it is mainly philosophy. So I don't expect this thread to survive for very long. Enjoy it while you can.

Zz.

Likes Silicon Waffle
jk22 said:
I thought the following reasoning proves that there cannot be a creator
No, it proves that our perceived universe is just a simulation being run in a big quantum computer! Muahahahaha!

Sorry, we don't argue about religion of philosophy here. This thread is closed.

1. What does it mean for a physical theory to be non-physical?

A physical theory is considered non-physical if it describes phenomena or concepts that cannot be observed or measured through physical means. This could include ideas such as parallel universes or consciousness.

2. Are there any examples of physical theories that are considered non-physical?

Yes, there are several examples of physical theories that are considered non-physical, such as string theory, which proposes the existence of extra dimensions beyond our three-dimensional space.

3. How do scientists determine if a physical theory is non-physical?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine if a physical theory is non-physical, including mathematical models, experimental evidence, and logical reasoning. If a theory cannot be tested or verified through these methods, it may be considered non-physical.

4. Can a non-physical theory still be valuable to science?

Yes, even though a theory may be considered non-physical, it can still be valuable to science by providing potential explanations for observed phenomena and inspiring new lines of research. Non-physical theories can also lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

5. Is it possible for a non-physical theory to eventually become a physical theory?

Yes, it is possible for a non-physical theory to eventually become a physical theory. As scientific knowledge and technology advance, we may be able to observe and measure phenomena that were once considered non-physical, leading to their inclusion in physical theories.