Is F in P=F/A an average or a sum of all microscopic forces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Greg777
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I've read that the force F we use in the pressure formula P=F/A is an average of all microscopic forces exerted by the gas on the wall of the container over a period of time. Is it true? I thought it was a SUM rather than an average?
I assume that in that definition the microscopic force is a force exerted by a SINGLE particle on the wall.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a sum over all the different particles, but an average over time. When the text talks about averaging, it should be talking about averaging over time to smooth out the random fluctuations of collisions with particles.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg777