Average power used to stretch a spring

In summary, the maximum stretch of the spring was found using the strain energy formula. The maximum force exerted was found using the x=√((2*0.25J)/k)) equation. The average power exerted was found using the equation: ((P*1s+P*2s+...+P*25s)/25=P(1+2+3+...25)/25).
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A light spring has unstretched length 0.40 m and spring constant 50 N/m .
The spring is stretched by a varying tension force that starts at a value of zero and increases at a constant rate of 0.20 N/s up to a maximum value.
When the force reaches its maximum value, the strain energy of the spring is 0.25 J. What is the average power used to stretch the spring?
(Assume that the spring obeys Hooke’s law.)
Relevant Equations
Strain energy
Hooke's law
First and foremost, I found the max stretch of the spring using the strain energy formula(x=√((2*0.25J)/k)) ).
Then, the maximum force exerted(Fmax=k*xmax), in order to find out the seconds needed for the force in [N/s] to reach its maximum value. Now, I got confused about how to find the AVERAGE POWER... and I thought about making the mean of all values assumed by the force in each second, with the formula(Pavg=0.2N*"sum of the first 'Δt' integers"/Δt). but with this unorthodox method, I have a result that isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method should be approximately correct. But there is an easier way. You already figured the time (I presume correctly!)
Suppose I told you it took me 10 seconds to run 100 yds. How would you figure my average speed ?

hutchphd said:
Your method should be approximately correct. But there is an easier way. You already figured the time (I presume correctly!)
Suppose I told you it took me 10 seconds to run 100 yds. How would you figure my average speed ?
Well, so the avg power must be equal to ΔP/Δt, which is 25s. Indeed, its 0.25J/25s=0.01W, and its correct!
But I still have a question... why does de statement say the unstretched length of the spring? Isn't it unuseful?

Yes I think so. Of course figuring out what is useful is part of a quality education.
just for grins: how close to correct was your initial attempt? Do you see where the error comes in and how you would estimate it...there will be problems where that is the only approach...

hutchphd said:
Yes I think so. Of course figuring out what is useful is part of a quality education.
just for grins: how close to correct was your initial attempt? Do you see where the error comes in and how you would estimate it...there will be problems where that is the only approach...
I cannot really understand where does the big difference between 0.01W and 5.2e-3W(using the first method) comes from... I have calculated the power exerted in a second using the x(stretch)/s and then multiplied it by the sum of the first 25 numbers, and divided by 25... shouldn't it be at least approximately correct?

greg_rack said:
I cannot really understand where does the big difference between 0.01W and 5.2e-3W(using the first method) comes from... I have calculated the power exerted in a second using the x(stretch)/s and then multiplied it by the sum of the first 25 numbers, and divided by 25... shouldn't it be at least approximately correct?
Your second method is not clear to me. Please explain in detail.

haruspex said:
Your second method is not clear to me. Please explain in detail.
I started by calculating the stretching for the force acting in a second(0.2N), and then by finding the amount of energy needed to cause the same lengthening(U=0.5*k*x^2), ending up with an Energy/s(power). Then, by having the seconds during which the force acts, I made the mean of all the power values depending on the time: ((P*1s+P*2s+...+P*25s)/25=P(1+2+3+...25)/25).

greg_rack said:
I started by calculating the stretching for the force acting in a second(0.2N), and then by finding the amount of energy needed to cause the same lengthening(U=0.5*k*x^2), ending up with an Energy/s(power). Then, by having the seconds during which the force acts, I made the mean of all the power values depending on the time: ((P*1s+P*2s+...+P*25s)/25=P(1+2+3+...25)/25).
Still not enough detail. I'll try to fill it in.
First second, extension reaches 4mm, Work done = 4e-4J, power=4e-4W.
2nd second, extension reaches 8mm, Work done = 12e-4J, power=12e-4W.
3rd second, extension reaches 12mm, Work done = 20e-4J, power=20e-4W.
:
25th second, extension reaches 100mm, Work done = 196e-4J, power=196e-4W.
Sum of powers=0.25W.
Avg power=0.01W.

So where did you go wrong?

haruspex said:
Still not enough detail. I'll try to fill it in.
First second, extension reaches 4mm, Work done = 4e-4J, power=4e-4W.
2nd second, extension reaches 8mm, Work done = 12e-4J, power=12e-4W.
3rd second, extension reaches 12mm, Work done = 20e-4J, power=20e-4W.
:
25th second, extension reaches 100mm, Work done = 196e-4J, power=196e-4W.
Sum of powers=0.25W.
Avg power=0.01W.

So where did you go wrong?
A force of .2N causing stretching of 4mm, hasn't a work of 8e-4J(Work=FΔx)?
Anyway, I think the big mistake lies in the fact I've used the formula of strain energy(0.5*g*x^2) instead of the work, but why isn't it also correct?

greg_rack said:
A force of .2N causing stretching of 4mm, hasn't a work of 8e-4J(Work=FΔx)?
It's only 0.2N at the end of 1s. On average it was only 0.1N. Work done on a spring is ½kx2=½(50)(0.004)2=4e-4.
greg_rack said:
the formula of strain energy(0.5*g*x^2)
Is g different from k?
If you'd really like to know where you went wrong, post all the details.

haruspex said:
It's only 0.2N at the end of 1s. On average it was only 0.1N. Work done on a spring is ½kx2=½(50)(0.004)2=4e-4.

Is g different from k?
If you'd really like to know where you went wrong, post all the details.
I think I understood where the issue is... I assumed(incorrectly, I'd say) that each second the force exerted a power of P=½ (50)(0.004)2=4e-4W: then, with this assumption, power would have been P*1s on the 1st second, P*2s on the 2nd second and so on until P*25s. Dividing then the sum of all the values power has assumed during the 25s, by 25s, I would have get the mean power! Hope you got it now

What is the definition of average power used to stretch a spring?

The average power used to stretch a spring is the amount of energy required to stretch a spring over a specific distance, divided by the time it takes to stretch the spring.

How is the average power used to stretch a spring calculated?

The average power used to stretch a spring can be calculated by dividing the work done on the spring by the time it takes to stretch the spring. This can be represented by the equation P = W/t, where P is the average power, W is the work done, and t is the time taken.

What factors affect the average power used to stretch a spring?

The average power used to stretch a spring is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the distance it is stretched, and the time it takes to stretch the spring. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the spring, such as gravity or friction.

What are the units of measurement for average power used to stretch a spring?

The units of measurement for average power used to stretch a spring are watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). These units represent the amount of energy used per unit of time.

Why is it important to calculate the average power used to stretch a spring?

Calculating the average power used to stretch a spring is important because it allows us to understand the amount of energy required for a specific distance and time. This information is useful in designing and optimizing systems that use springs, such as shock absorbers or mechanical devices.