Is helium a faster propagator of fusion burn compared to hydrogen?

In summary, a discussion is taking place about whether a burn would spread faster through hydrogen or helium. The initial thought is that helium, with its higher mass, would propagate faster. However, there are further considerations such as the conditions and isotopic composition of the materials, as well as the differences in fusion reactions and cross-sections. It is necessary to clarify what is meant by "propagate" and the specific conditions of the material in order to accurately determine the answer.
sportcardinal3
I am trying to determine whether a burn would propagate faster through hydrogen or helium.

My initial guess is helium due to the higher mass. I also think this is true in stars. Anyone have an idea on burn propagation and how different masses of material would affect it?

Is my first thought correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with propagate? Do you have some cold (well, relatively cold), dense material that gets ignited at some point? If yes, what are the conditions of this cold, dense material?
What is the isotopic composition of your hydrogen and helium?
My initial guess is helium due to the higher mass.
Why? And why did you neglect the fact that the fusion reactions and their cross-sections are completely different?

Related to Is helium a faster propagator of fusion burn compared to hydrogen?

What is fusion burn propagation?

Fusion burn propagation is the process by which a fusion reaction, in which two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, continues to release energy and sustain itself.

Why is fusion burn propagation important?

Fusion burn propagation is important because it is the key to achieving sustained and controlled fusion reactions, which have the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy.

What factors affect fusion burn propagation?

The factors that affect fusion burn propagation include the temperature and density of the fusion fuel, the confinement time of the fuel, and the efficiency of the energy transfer mechanisms.

How is fusion burn propagation studied?

Fusion burn propagation is studied through a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and experimental research using fusion devices such as tokamaks and laser fusion facilities.

What are the challenges in achieving successful fusion burn propagation?

The main challenges in achieving successful fusion burn propagation include creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur, controlling the size and stability of the fusion plasma, and developing efficient methods for extracting and utilizing the energy produced.